Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrtsarnold

OKNA 700 and Marvin Integrity window quotes

mrtsarnold
8 years ago

Hello, I've got quotes to replace windows in 7 openings with 21 windows for the rear and one side of my home. 5 openings are triples with a casement on each end and stationary in the center. 4 openings have large radius stationary windows above the triples. See pic below to get an idea of scope. Its not your typical install. I've had RBA, Marvin and OKNA come out. What has me stumped is this. The Marvin integrity quote is 27,500 and includes replacing the jamb extensions and interior trim. The OKNA quote came in at 25,000 and the company wants to leave the existing jamb extensions and interior trim. I really like the OKNA windows but I was fully expecting a quote that was 65%-85% of the Marvin quote just based on research. Can a pro weigh in based on the info supplied if either quote seems out of line? I really liked the idea of fully exposing the sills so a framing can be inspected/repaired and a proper waterproofing with flexwrap or similar could be done. I have feeling based on some water damage below one of the windows that the original mid 90's carapco's were not properly installed to begin with. Thanks

Comments (7)

• mrtsarnold
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bump...

I realize I didnt provide a lot of detail on the windows themselves that are being replaced. I thought the picture of the back of the house might help understand the scope. I am still waiting on a quote from another company using a regionally made vinyl window (VinylKraft) to compare to the OKNA quote. The OKNA saleperson did reach out to me and I expressed that I thought her number was a little high. She said they want my business and asked for a number I thought I was reasonable. Down below is what I threw together as an estimate that I was going to come back with. Can any professionals tell me if I my numbers in range for OKNA 700 casements? I tried to take everything I could think of into consideration. It is a larger company so I included 10%/10% for O&P. I have no idea how to price those elliptical windows. BTW, I am in Kentucky. Thanks!

Demolition

21 @ $16.00 = $336

15 - 28" X 70" casement windows - Double Pane/Low E/Argon Filled.

Materials: 15 @ $644 = $9660

Labor: 15 @ 74.90 = $1123.50

2 - 24" x 36" casement windows - Double Pane/Low E/Argon Filled.

Materials: 2 @ 394 = $788

Labor: 2 @ 53.40 = $106.80

2 - 90" x 36" elliptical - Double Pane/Low E/Argon Filled.

Materials: 2 @ $1250 = $2500

Labor: 2 @ 125 = $250

2 - 90" x 18" elliptical - Double Pane/Low E/Argon Filled.

Materials: 2 @ $1040 = $2080

Labor: 2 @ $108 = $216

Scaffolding setup minimum charge

1 @ $125 = $125

2nd story/scaffolding work allowance for 8 windows

8 @ $25 per window = $200

Overhead = 10%

Profit = 10%

Total Materials = $15028

Total Labor = $2021.30

O&P = $3409.86

Grand Total = $20459.16

• fridge2020
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

1. The labor cost used is a bit light, and generally would not change by size, eg: the 28x70 vs 24 x 36

2. Based on the numbers, the gross profit is only 16%. A company in this industry would be out of business tomorrow at that. Is there a commissioned sales person involved? That is 10% +/- right there. Industry average marketing cost is 10% as well. There is the 20% O&P with nothing left for the rest of the overhead costs (insurance, rent , office staff, taxes, licensing, equipment, training, etc) or profit.

It is a fine starting point for negotiation, but I would not expect to hit that number, nor would I expect the company to break down all of their costs in that detail.

• mrtsarnold
    Original Author
    8 years ago

fridge2020,

Yeah, I was not sure about the labor either but I used price books from the craftsman company, who supply labor and material pricing to all sorts of estimating software companies like xactimate, etc for the insurance, residential and heavy construction industry. They are not always accurate. Also those big arse elliptical windows are hard to price for someone not in the industry. Stuff like that is not in the price books so I had to fudge something based on the closet thing they had listed.

The other company quoting vinyl windows from vinylkraft wont said they wont make ellipticals that big so I need to get some other estimates for vinyl to have something to compare the OKNA quote to for my area.

As far as a breakdown of cost, I wasn't expecting anyone to do so. With the 4 quotes I have received so far have all just been a single price. I just wanted anyone here to see how I came to a number and not completely fudging it. Thanks for your insight, the owner of the OKNA dealer in my area called and wants to work with me on pricing, he is sending a senior associate out tonight to take a closer look at the job and see what we can come up with.

• mrtsarnold
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, the Marvin infinity quote just came in. Good lawd...$47,500 for the windows listed above. The salesmen seemed floored when I told him he was significantly higher than the Marvin integrity quote ($27,500) from another company. He said he is usually 5%-10% higher. My head hurts.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago

The Okna quote really doesn't seem crazy, and the Infinity window is generally sold at a premium price. Not saying this is a great deal by any means, but that price is not completely out of line with what is out there given the extent of the project. If anything, that Integrity quote seems to be on the low side. The custom shape units, full tear-out installation, jamb extensions and casing all make that sound pretty low IMO.

• mrtsarnold
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HomeSealed,

I hear what your saying. As I mentioned previously I thought the same thing once I got the OKNA quote - either the integrity was low or the OKNA was high. The lead salesman for the business quoting the OKNAs came out last night to talk price. I mentioned to him that I was expecting 650-750 for the 17 normal windows and he said his number is higher per windows because I want pebblestone exterior and white interior. I failed to mention that 2 tone requirement earlier. Does that add a significant cost to the window?

He ultimately did drop down a couple thousand to around 23K and FWIW ensured me that they would do the install job right using an OSI membrane or similar, quality caulk, spray foam and replace any rotten jambs, sills, cripples, etc as part of the price. Told him I want everything in writing if I move forward.

I definitely don't want to be in the situation I am in currently which is rotten, leaky windows. That left most 2nd story window in my picture was leaking for a long time at some point before I bought the house. The previous homeowner "fixed" it by slapping the most caulk l I've ever seen on the outside of the window which stopped the water intrusion but the damage had already been done. The bedroom in the basement below the leaking window had a foundation crack on an adjacent wall that was leaking. While doing the crack injection repair I noticed some old water staining on the ceiling and wall below the window. Once I exposed that framing below that window, I had to replace about 4 ft of band joist, top plate and studs that were completely rotten. I could crumble the band joist and top plate it with my hands. I know early to mid 90s carapco windows has issues but from what I have seen the builder didn't do much if any waterproofing which exacerbated the issue. Ah, the joys of homeownership. LOL.