Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

Shrub Suggestion please?

dbarron
5 years ago

Ok, I'm in NW Arkansas (z7) with a shrub for a corner driveway siting. I would want it to be smallish due to not wanting to block view of traffic as I exit driveway. The siting is full sun, a not horrible clayish soil, average to dry conditions. I prefer summer interest and even shrub like herbaceous perennials can be acceptable (previous occupant was a hibiscus mutabilis which was a 4-5 foot dieback perennial here), though it might be possible to consider a winter interest like a deciduous holly also. I have a preference for native plants, but will not consider that an absolute.

The only thing that springs to my mind this morning is Ceanothus americanus, but not sure if the clay will be well-drained enough for it, having never been able to grow it at previous houses.

If something occurs to you, please suggest and thank you.

Comments (22)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

I'm in NW Arkansas

==>>> you are??? go figure ... had no clue ....

how about a pic of the site ... without such.. i cant really conceptualize anything but grass or very low plants at the end of a driveway you are backing out of ...

but then.. that might be me being an insurance company defense atty in another life ... [there are reasons i became a stay at home dad]

ken

dbarron thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Skip1909
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Maybe Hypericum prolificum? Its one I started from seed last year, I dont have much first hand experience with it. The descriptions of its cultural needs vary widely depending on source but it seems to be adaptable.

dbarron thanked Skip1909
  • dbarron
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I have a H prolificum and it's a nice plant and could potentially do well there. I might try to get hold of a H frondosum if I don't see anything else suggested I like (used to have one..and has somewhat more presence, with larger flowers, and a semi-evergreen habit). I hadn't thought of another hypericum..but will keep it in mind.

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    5 years ago

Amsonia can handle full sun and clay, grows somewhat shrub-like (but not too big) for an herbaceous perennial, and gives you pretty spring blooms and nicely-textured foliage (and some nice, golden fall color depending on the species.)

Potentilla is another option.

dbarron thanked sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
  • dbarron
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have Amsonia illustris, I thought about using Amsonia hubrichtii for the front, and was throwing that idea out...but it is a nice greenery and a sub-shrub for the growing season (I was throwing it out because of lack of summer interest..it's still weak there).

As to the potentilla, they're usually best z3-7, I'm 7 and I'm toward the SW, which usually means my heat zones are more like z8 or 9. I don't believe it would be happy here without lots of watering (which I don't want to do) in summer and fall. In fact, I've seen them look pretty 'crispy critter'.

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    5 years ago

A. hubrichtii was what I had in mind, but you're right about the lack of midsummer appeal.

dbarron thanked sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
  • Nancy RW (zone 7)
    5 years ago

Russian sage is tough and beautiful.

dbarron thanked Nancy RW (zone 7)
  • Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    5 years ago

There are some dwarf, sterile buddleia that may fit the bill. Also consider caryopteris, although that may bloom too late for your requirement.

dbarron thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • dbarron
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've never ever been able to overwinter a buddleia, though I haven't tried at this house.

I love caryopteris, and might actually give that a try (haven't tried it in at least twenty years). I would like something earlier, but still...that's a great idea. I do have a beautyberry close by (fall interest already)..but blue is a lovely color ;)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Dbarron’s, have you tried any of the gold foliaged Caryopteris? I like their bright growing season presence, but I know not everyone likes gold foliaged plants.

dbarron thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • dbarron
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gold foliage tends to give me uneasiness thinking they're chlorotic ;)
    I think I'm gonna go see if my local nursery has any caryopteris in stock.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I like the frosty leafed ones as well as the gold ones, and the blue late season flowers are a nice combo with the foliage of either color. Maybe tuck some daffodils under the Caryopteris? I would definitely have more here if they weren’t borderline hardy.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok, a caryopteris 'Gran Bleu' has been placed on the front lawn awaiting planting tonight.

I hope I can keep it (clay and possible winter/early spring wet). I also hope it proves to be sufficiently drought tolerant (summer to fall, hopeful).

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    5 years ago

Yay! Excited to see how it does for you. Mine have been excellent as far as drought resistance. Planted mine in the middle of a drought, and certainly didn’t tend them as I ought to have, and they never blinked an eye.

dbarron thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, the first flowers are open on the caryopteris. I'm hoping it doesn't finish and become non-interesting by end of July. It got a jump start by being overwintered in a greenhouse.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

That is quite a jump start. Here it blooms late August and a good chunk of September.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, I'm not sure what it's gonna be like this year..and if this sets the stage for next year too ?

• Sandplum1
    4 years ago

Dbarron, please post an update on how it does for you.

Carol

• dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'll for sure update you in late summer/fall. I'll try to remember to do so in Spring (when we know how it REALLY did). It's rather pretty (if small) right now, but a lot of leaf yellowing is going on (probably due to 2 months of unrelenting rain).

• dbarron
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well, it has been in bloom perpetually since it started. I can see the end coming because new growth has ceased, in mid October. I wouldn't mind maybe a bit more impact, hopefully when not trying to bloom all year, it will have that. However, I am pleased. Photo from street attached.

Other plants include native american beauty berry, which was just coloring...more so now and will be spectacular when leaves fall and a mexican sunflower (tithonia).

• Sandplum1
    4 years ago

Looks promising!

Carol

dbarron thanked Sandplum1