Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tziporar_leider

Need help for my kitchen

TR L
9 years ago
I bought my house 2 years ago and never did anything about the kitchen. The colours of the cabinets, counters and back-splash don't match. This is a fairly new kitchen, about 4 years old so it's in excellent condition. I was thinking of painting the bottom cabinets black and the top cabinets white. I am hesitant to paint the cabinets because they are oak and assume the grain will show through. So I was thinking of working around the cabinets and just doing the counter tops and back-splash. Any ideas if I keep the cabinets the same what kind of counter top, back-splash and colour paint for the wall. I would like to have a more up to date looking kitchen. Thank you!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Design Connection, Inc.
    9 years ago
    If you can only do one thing, then change the backsplash and countertop for now. Painting the cabinets still wont match the current conditions that you are in. Start in small projects and then after the countertops and backsplash are done, then paint the cabinets. Good luck!
    TR L thanked Design Connection, Inc.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Consider painting the cabinets medium gray for the bottom and white for the upper cabinets.
    TR L thanked Dytecture
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Your kitchen isn't out of date, it was just rather poorly planned. I like the cabinets, so I agree with the previous comment. However, I also like the backsplash. See if you can find a countertop that goes with the cabinets and the backsplash. I do not like the black appliances very much either. Any chance of changing them?
    TR L thanked mfwolfe
  • TR L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for the advice! What color backsplash and counter top and what color would you paint the walls?
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Could you remove the other posting of this dilemma? Two of the same gets confusing.
    TR L thanked mfwolfe
  • TR L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    when painting red oak wood, does the grain show through? If yes, how does that look?
  • naujmartha
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    These colors look nice.
    Donnelley · More Info
    TR L thanked naujmartha
  • Melissa Freeman
    9 years ago
    I would consider changing out the appliances out to Ss would make everything blend better.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    I would not paint the cabinets unless you hate them, I think they look nice overall. Don't do black and white. If you hate the color then consider your options carefully. The bigger issues to tackle to make your kitchen look up to date are: counter/backsplash, appliances, floor, blinds. Have you gone into any kitchen showrooms and considered what they are displaying? Not sure where you are located but if there is nothing in your area check out Houzz, and shelter magazines.
    TR L thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • TR L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks naujmartha! That kitchen is beautiful! Is it yours? I was thinking dark/ black for the bottom to blend the appliances in better and I have small children, so light colors tend to get dirtier quicker! I thought the black would make my kitchen have a cleaner look for longer!
  • TR L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thank you Gray and walter. What would you suggest for colors of counter top, backspalsh and paint to make it all blend better.
  • PRO
    Mr Cabinet Care
    9 years ago
    Have you heard of cabinet refacing? You basically keep your existing design, but simply replace your existing cabinetry with new drawers and drawer fronts. This will make your kitchen look brand new! Then you can keep the backsplash and countertop and simply paint the wall a complimenting color. Browse our "before & after" photos so you can see how much of a difference cabinet refacing makes: http://www.mrcabinetcare.com/gallery/before-and-after.html

Please let me know if you have any questions!
    Mr. Cabinet Care Content Manager
    Bethany Michaels
  • PRO
    Bluebell Kitchens
    9 years ago
    Definitely consider switching out the countertops. Another quick fix that would really update and freshen the space is to replace the hardware, like the sink faucet and cabinet pulls.
    TR L thanked Bluebell Kitchens
  • PRO
    Sightlines
    9 years ago
    If you can't replace the appliances, at least for now, then I'd go with your idea of painting the lower cabinets black--it will make the black appliances blend better. The grain probably will show through, but it won't be as objectionable as you might think if you do a careful prep and paint job. Make sure any crooked/broken drawer, hinges, etc. are fixed--you need the grain of the cabinets to be the only visual noise in the run of cabinets. Change the hardware to something simple and substantial, but not too modern. Once you get that done, you can see if you want to paint the uppers, but you might be able to leave them as is.

All that big molding gives the kitchen a bit of a traditional feeling, so replace the modern-looking blind with a roman shade that doesn't fight the look so much. If you have a bad view out the kitchen window, use a frosted window cling on the glass.

I'm assuming you are DIYing on a limited budget...I always assume that because that's what I do....
    TR L thanked Sightlines
  • TR L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like Letitia Little Interior Design idea. To replace the counter tops with a black quartz like Cambria (this will tie in to the black appliances). Do a new back splash with in an off white subway tile with a black mosaic glass and stone border. Replace hardware with nickel pulls and knobs and paint your walls a soft gray. What color soft gray would you suggest for the walls?
  • PRO
    Mr Cabinet Care
    9 years ago
    If you want to pick the perfect color for your walls, check out our blog post "5 Tips to Pick the Perfect Hue for You" http://www.mrcabinetcare.com/5-tips-pick-perfect-paint-color.html
    TR L thanked Mr Cabinet Care
  • lopipopi
    9 years ago
    I like Letitia's plan too. I think the main problem is that the pink in the backsplash conflicts with the yellow in the countertop.
    TR L thanked lopipopi