Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Which colours do you prefer for your kitchen?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
'White kitchen' is one of the most popular search terms on Houzz, but that doesn't mean that everyone loves a neutral-coloured kitchen.

What colours do you have in your kitchen? Are you happy with what you've got or do you wish for something different?

Grace · More Info

Comments (29)

• moooandpaul
    9 years ago
    I love white kitchens, we have just renovated ours, it looks clean, modern, classic and will not date like colours do. Accessorizing with colour means you can change the scheme of themes when you get sick of it. With a neutral base you can frequently change the look of your kitchen . Michelle
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    We too have just renovated our kitchen and I went with the dark cherry cabinets, distressed eucalyptus hardwood floors, granite counter tops and travertine backsplash and I wouldn’t change a thing. i love it!
  • Christiane
    9 years ago
    When we moved in our house I got a completely white kitchen - and hated it! Specifically the white countertop. It was staining so easily, bleach became my best friend (and I don't like harsh chemicals!) So the first opportunity I changed the countertop to a black granite and life became a lot easier!
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    We went for a classic black and white, with red thrown in as the complementary colour. The funny thing is, the kitchen seller tried to convince me to go for a darker colour on the lower cabinets and lighter on top (apparently that's the rule). My thinking was: with the amount of light from the glass extension, the upper part can take the black, but I need something light and bright at the base. In the end, he obviously went with our choices, but said that he never sold an 'upside-down' kitchen before.
  • witch06
    9 years ago
    white and black
  • bbarick
    9 years ago
    I'm probably the only person left who likes oak cabinetry, but my kitchen is honey oak with green/black quartz countertops, cream subway tile backsplash and cream/black ceramic tile floors. All of it chosen by us, we love it. No photo included as I'm sure nobody else here on Houzz wants to see an oak kitchen!
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I think it depends on style and light. Is it a craftsman kitchen....modern....farmhouse?
    Would you want dark cherry cabinets in a kitchen without much natural light? I'm working on a project right now that is new construction that I'm describing as "industrial modern farmhouse". It has no windows in the kitchen (it does have a skylight). I'm specifying white cabinets, white tile backsplash, and black and white speckled granite (something like "aurino bianco"). Practical, and it doesn't show finger prints, dust, and crumbs like dark granites.
    I'd be curious to know what material the white counters in this discussion (christianlenz) were? And were they properly sealed?
  • Margee Showalter
    9 years ago
    We used White Dove for our cabinets and Virginia Mist granite. We LOVE the light kitchen!
    Emmeline Westin thanked Margee Showalter
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love white kitchens in houses with separate kitchens. In open concept homes I think white dominates the whole area, so in those, cabinets that blend with the rest of the house work better.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Pops of green always look great in the kitchen, in my opinion. Loving that kitchen @darcyjo! Great job
  • charliebeth
    9 years ago
    I adore white kitchens as they feel bright and cheery and clean. We are currently in the process of renovating our kitchen and adding new off-white cabinets. We are trying to pick granite. Very frustrating as we find some we like and they only have one slab, OR, we find some we like with enough slabs and all of the slabs have cracks in them. :( I like lighter granite but Mister Handsome likes darker granite with a lot of movement for contrast. I agree that contrast would be nice, but since we have now changed out the floors to Australian Cypress which has lots of dark "knots" in it, I'm worried a busy granite will look too busy with the floors. I like "neutral" and agree that you can add in pops of color when it pleases you and change your mind about your accent colors if you have a white/neutral base. We knocked out a wall so our great room with a big blue accent wall is visible from the kitchen...and Mister Handsome is wondering about blue subway tile as a backsplash. I like the blue tile idea as it would visibly anchor that big blue wall....but I worry that it will limit us in our kitchen decor choices....and then we are kind of stuck with blue. I'd prefer a granite that looks like Carrerra marble but without the upkeep, or maybe Delicatus Cream. And THEN, we could add in whatever colors we wanted to and would have the option to change our minds without any need to renovate down the road.
  • charliebeth
    9 years ago
    I also love the white kitchen in the photo at the top of the article...except I would change one thing if it was in my house. I would change out the backspash for white subway tile with darker grout lines, maybe a khaki color grout, to give it a bit more dimension. I love white but I need to feel some "texture" in my white so it doesn't feel too cold.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    I like color in a kitchen. I love some of the retro appliances that can be ordered in many colors instead of the boring white, stainless or depressing black that most come in today. The house I grew up in had a harvest gold kitchen with maple cabinets. The condo I just bought has light wood cabinets and I'm in the process of repainting the white walls to Sherwin Williams SW6710 Melange Green (sort of granny smith apple green) which will make my red appliances like the toaster and mixer look great. It was just the color of the leaves when they first came out this spring, and will feel like spring all year long. Maybe eventually I'll pick out some tile for a backsplash, but right now I'm just trying to get settled into the new place and see how everything works.

Sherwin-Williams paint color – Melange Green (SW 6710) · More Info

TOASTERS / 33340001 polished 2 slc.jpg · More Info
  • midmodfan
    9 years ago
    I like kitchens in all kind of colors, it really depends on the style of the house. We have teak floors throughout that add a ton of warmth, so we went with white high cabinets and a dark gray island.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love the look of wood. My kitchen is open to the living room with a wood counter between. My cabinets look like built in furniture with drawers rather than cabinets, with a dark green granite counter and all black appliances. It visually makes one room and doesn't look either industrial or rustic. And I am an avid cook so I have not sacrificed function to get the look. Give me wood!
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    9 years ago
    White cabinets but SW Fun Yellow for walls.
  • PRO
    Urbanata/Steve
    9 years ago
    I like what works best in the space, the lighting conditions, the style of the home.
  • Susan Langenes
    9 years ago
    Ditto. That said, I'm kind of a sucker for any color in the range of turquoise, seafoam, light green, or light blue. I have no idea why.
  • Heidi Zagori
    9 years ago
    I love white too. We have white with black accents. I wish it were all white to be honest. I collect antique copper vessels so there's a fair amount of that in there, and I use purple as an accent color (towels, rugs, and most of my little kitchen tools) but I can change that easily if I get tired of it.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    White kitchens are very popular look, it is classic look that will never be outdated, but if you would like to consider the new neural it is "Grey Tones". Dura Supreme cabinetry offer beautiful painted Grey tones, such as the "Pearl". Another consideration don't be scare to mix warm and cool tones.
  • skagitnana
    9 years ago
    Guess I'm bucking the trend. We're having unstained cherry cabinets, charcoal granite, and sage green Pratt and Larson craftsman tile backsplash. Lots of white craftsman millwork, lots of windows. Just really wanted some color in there.
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    I have lived with oak cabinets in most of the homes we have had. I consider it a neutral backdrop but it is a bit dark without windows in this house. My blue willow collection and copper pieces drive my kitchen color scheme. I found a soft yellow (Valspar Oatlands yellow) works with my blue accents and the gold tones of the oak.

Color choices are tied to the existing finishes and the available natural light as well as the style of adjoining rooms. Then accents are personal expressions.
    I am a water person who loves blue. The kitchenware my girls chose for college use is setting their kitchen color schemes for when they settle into more permanent housing. One is collecting retro red pieces and the other's color is a soft green.
  • John MacBride
    9 years ago
    I went bold on my kitchen with mahogany coloured cabinets and stainless steel appliances/backsplash. I added pops of colour by placing multicoloured glass vases (handy for impromptu gifts of flowers) directly underneath the under cabinet lighting. They glow beautifully at night.
  • meganlanephotos
    9 years ago
    I absolutely love white kitchens. I am a first time home owner, as of 14 months a go. My kitchen had 27 unpainted wood cabinets and drawers when I moved in. I finally took the time to paint them white a few weeks a go. I am not completely finished with the kitchen improvements but I am so much happier with the way it looks since we took care of the cabinetry. I think the white makes everything look brighter, my airier and much more spacious. I love it!

Below are a set of before and after pictures that I took :)
  • Another Thyme
    9 years ago
    I often say that I love a white kitchen, but what I really mean is that I like white cabinets in the kitchen. According to feng shui a white kitchen makes for rushed cooking and eating and is not recommended. Maybe that is why I have always thought of an all white room as institutionalized. Some colour on the walls and colourful accents and I still love a "white kitchen"!
  • AmaSiy siy
    9 years ago
    Can't wait to have this white kitchen installed. It has deep grey counter top. The stove on the island will be burgundy.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    9 years ago
    Our kitchen is still under renovation. Crystal white all-plywood cabinets from Conestoga Wood Specialties, 3/4" plywood shelves, Blum drawer glides and hinges, Wilson Art Luna Shadow countertop, SW Fun Yellow walls.
  • mrsreedo
    9 years ago
    Love our "white" kitchen. Cloud white cabinets, marble countertops, slate backsplash.