Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amg7

Houzz Help! New Bachelor Pad needs some assistance!!

amg7
12 years ago
I close escrow on my first place this coming week, but have been laboring over a few things, mainly paint. I know what I want to go with, but haven't decided on which shade of grey for the living room. I'm thinking maybe a Benjamin Moore storm(af-700). Now, I've attached pictures for reference. I'm curious as to others thoughts on where I should start AND stop the colors. Should I carry the living room grey up the stairs, then break off into different colors in the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs? Should the living room color continue on the small 4ft wall inbetween the kitchen and livingroom, or should the kitchen color start there?

My final question is, for someone looking to go neutral greys, does anyone have any suggestions for a kitchen color? My counters are black granite, the cabinets will be black uppers, and white lowers, and the tile on the floor, as you can see, are a light brown.

Any insight from outside sources is greatly appreciated.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    12 years ago
    Hi amg7. Here is one of my favorite grays...Revere Pewter HC-172 by Benjamin Moore. This color has subtle beige undertones which should work with your floor. I would paint the walls, including going up the stairs this color. You can use different, complimentary colors in your bedrooms/bathrooms upstairs. Additionally, I would start the kitchen color at that 4' wall. Consider going darker in your kichen, like Galveston Gray AC-27 by Benjamin Moore for a little drama with your black cabinets. You can always accessorize with brighter colors if you like. Congratulations on your first home. Let me know if you need further information. Charmean Neithart
  • amg7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Charmean,

Thanks so much for the insight and advice. I actually see you are local to me. My father grew up in South Pas, and has been a tournament member 28 years.

I'm going to get samples of both RP and GG to test on the walls. Would you consider Revere Pewter more of a Greige? Now I know it's said, if you go neutral on the walls, the pops of color need to come from other parts of the room. I've been leaning towards a vibrant shade of red for the pops of color. My thoughts were a red dining table in the kitchen, and possibly a red sectional couch in the living room. The big thing I do not want to do, is go overboard with the color, or overpower the house. My other thought was maybe a grey sectional, and rug, and then a red TV stand, and black or dark stained wood living room table. I'm a fan of modern/contemporary styling, but when you're 25 and on a budget, you can't always afford the style you want.

Also, the kitchen is going to be refinished before I move in. Would you go with gloss black, and gloss white, or semi's on both cabinet colors?

Thanks so much.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi amg7. Great we're neighbors! It's a nice place to live. Revere pewter does have gray undertones. It's a very nice color and works well with many different styles. I would suggest you get your pops of color with rugs and pillows, an occasional piece of fun colored furniture is fine too. I think for the bigger items, sectional and other pieces go neutral, the gray. Is a great idea. I really like to start a palette with a rug, find something modern and sleek and then pull colors from there. Since you're so close just give my office a call and I'd be happy to tell you where to shop. For your cabinets...what kind of door detail do you have? Most likely I would suggest semi, but high gloss on certain door styles can be cool too. What do the countertops look like?
    Give me a call at my office, I'm around today. 626.441.4288. And keep in mind, my initial consultation is free. I'd be happy to come take a look and get you started in the right direction. Charmean
  • amg7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Charmean,

I feel as though I will be strongly wasting your precious professional time by taking up your time on the phone. Stealing time that you could be spending with potential customers. I of course have a million question, but time is money, especially in your business. Being a part of my families business, I understand that all too well.

If it's possible to discuss this further, please shoot me an email at your discretion. Markus@escinc.net

-Markus-
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    12 years ago
    I think Charmean has great advice for you and love her color suggestions. I can only add that it looks like you have red tones in your wood floors. You might use this as a starting color point for reds in your kitchen. Red accents that speak to the wood floor will help bring it all together nicely. good luck!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Markus. You are kind, but helping people with their homes is never a waste of my time, it's really what I like to do. Sometimes payment comes with the gratification of helping someone create a home for themselves, and that's fine with me. I will email you later, but feel free to call my office. I have two nice ladies there on staff who always know where to find me. Now, let's focus on your new bachelor pad. Do you think you can go get those samples? They sell Benjamin Moore at the True Value up on Fair Oaks. That's probably a good place to start. Thanks. Charmean
  • SalvageArtisan
    12 years ago
    Markus, what style are you going for? Are you wanting clean, sleek lines like the contemporary/modern look, or something more traditional? Also are you purchasing new furniture or using what you have already?

I got excited when I saw "grey" because I am madly in love with greys and achromatic color schemes right now. Have you ever been to a Restoration Hardware store or on the website? They have a lot of grey/black/white pieces and are, if nothing else, an excellent source of inspiration.

Best of luck, sounds like fun.
  • amg7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Salvage,

I am without a doubt, a modern/contemporary addict. I would lean more towards contemporary, as when we start heading towards ultra modern, minimalist, you lose me.

I have a couch and love seat that I purchased for my old place, but they are brown, and I will live with them until I get the neutral couches I want. Hoping that is sooner rather than later.

I have been a fan of Greys for a very long time. I don't know what it is, but I just love what you can do with them. I said to my friends what colors I hope to use in my first place, and not one person liked the idea of using Greys. As for restoration hardware. I get their catalog, as well as I've been in their Pasadena store. It's above my pay grade at the moment, but there are few interior stores I love more than RH.
  • amg7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Just wanted to start by saying, thanks to all that have contributed to this conversation thus far. It's GREATLY appreciated.

Since Charmean asked about what the cabinets themselves look like, I took a quick Iphone shot of the kitchen when I visited the property today. Again, I am thinking black uppers, and white lower cabinets. They will be sanded, prepped, and new hidden hinges are going to be put on. And on Charmeans recommendation, the kitchen will be painted Galveston Grey. Would love everyones thoughts on all that, and any suggestions. I'm also hoping to replace the low light fixture that is hanging across from the main kitchen, where the dining table is supposed to go. Any suggestions on some good looking fixtures?

The next picture is of the entryway. Again, on Charmeans recommendation, I'll be going with Revere Pewter in the living room and up the staircase. I'm wondering what everyones thoughts are on what color I should go with the railing on the stairs. And finally, at the top of this first set of stairs, there is an UGLY hanging light, we're talking straight out of the 1970's. It DEFINITELY needs to be replaced, the issue is with what.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hey Markus. Thanks for the pictures. Now after seeing your kitchen, I think I would go all white on the cabinets. I can't really tell the true color of the countertops, but can see they are dark and it would be nice to sharply contrast these with white cabinets.White will also look great against Galveston. One other simple thing you can do to the cabinets is replace hardware to a more modern option. I think Restoration Hadrware is great for cabinet hardware.Here is one option I used recently on a kitchen remodel http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1283123&categoryId=cat1512023
    On your entry I think I would leave the railiing for now as is, these spaces will all feel different when you get a new coat of paint on the wall. You might like the contrast of the white against Revere Pewter. For your light upstairs, it's hard to say without seeing the clearance, etc. But, consider this style at www.Lumens.com, http://www.lumens.com/Fucsia-3-Multipoint-Pendant-by-Flos/PAAAAADPNAADCGAL/product
    This is a classic modern pendant grouping by FLOS. Browse around Lumens and see if you like anything else. Also, like the RH suggestions from above. Here is one I really like at RH, http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1870657&categoryId=cat1701013
    When do you move in Markus? Thanks, hope this helps. Charmean
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi again Markus, Here are some visuals of Galveston Gray with whites. http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=89865

Also, here is Revere Pewter
    http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=19969&relatedPhotoId=90758&index=3

Did you notice the bright white cabinets with dark countertops? Looks great. Hope that helps a little. Charmean
  • amg7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Charmean,

It's amazing how those two colors change depending on the light in the particular room. In some pictures it looks extreme greige, in others it's a warmer obvious gray.

I'll be at the house this afternoon getting my quote on shutters, so I'll shoot a close up picture of the counter tops for final reference on the cabinet colors. White does seem to look very very good with that color and the dark counters. Would you say a black dining table? I'll shoot a picture of that space as well.

I owe you a nice bottle of wine for all this advice.

-Markus-
  • Debbie
    12 years ago
    We've been house hunting, and walked into a great room/kitchen...2 shades of gray....white cabinets, white trim (around entry doors and floors), bamboo floors, ceiling also in the lighter shade of gray, w/white crown moulding! Clean and fresh!
  • amg7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I figured since there has been so much of a response in this thread(thank you everyone, again), I'd post up other pictures of the rest of the house to get everyones thoughts and touches on what should be gone. Since I have to attach pictures after, I hope everyone will get an idea of what each picture is.