Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenbee7

Driving me crazy deciding on a countertop. Help me, please!

queenbee7
9 years ago
We can't decide on which color granite to put in our kitchen. We don't plan on painting the cabinets. They have to stay, however we can paint the stools. We have thought about the following: sienna beige, ivory ice or millennium creme. Pictures are in that order. One Kitchen pic also. Thank you for saving my insanity over this! How do you designers do it??

Comments (34)

• queenbee7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One more photo. :)
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    The ivory ice looks like a cool grey with cream (on my monitor anyway) and could make your kitchen cabinets orange. I think the sienna beige looks best.
    queenbee7 thanked asquithoatley
  • PRO
    Jonn Spradlin Design LLC
    9 years ago
    Ivory ice is just too cold for your space. I would use the Sienna Beige as well. I think it will add support to that warm comfortable look you have already.
    queenbee7 thanked Jonn Spradlin Design LLC
  • queenbee7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also wondering whether I should paint the stools a darker color.
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Sienna beige
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    I think I would paint them to match the dining chairs.
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    9 years ago
    Sienna beige or millennium cream would both look nice! Go ahead and paint the stools for a nice contrast to the cabinets and hardwood floors. Black similar to your dining chairs.
    queenbee7 thanked Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
  • project_time
    9 years ago
    Sienna beige. Very nice kitchen. Black chairs/bar stools.
    queenbee7 thanked project_time
  • queenbee7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Kitchen chairs are actually a dark green. Love my nature colors. :)
  • razzelberry
    9 years ago
    Sienna beige, I almost bought it leathered for my own kitchen. Love it!
    queenbee7 thanked razzelberry
  • Sharon Bouchard
    9 years ago
    Milennium creme please. With one sugar.
    queenbee7 thanked Sharon Bouchard
  • broli_me4
    9 years ago
    Love sienna beige in there....such a pretty, warm kitchen!
    queenbee7 thanked broli_me4
  • PRO
    Jonn Spradlin Design LLC
    9 years ago
    queenbee7, As for the barstools, I don't know if I would spend the money painting them, or save the money to replace them, no offense meant. When I look from dining towards kitchen, all I see are these humongous barstools with hard backs and seats. I would suggest, in time, you seek out a replacement with a smaller profile that would not rise above the counter top. I wouldn't waste the time and money painting them at this time. They work ok, but could be that small thing that takes your whole space to the next level.
    queenbee7 thanked Jonn Spradlin Design LLC
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    They do look a little squished in there... Do you always need 3? Dark gran I think would be good.
    queenbee7 thanked rocketjcat
  • queenbee7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We are empty nesters! I only keep my table for six for when the grand kids are here. Really only use two. No one like to be in the middle!
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    sienna beige for sure. I would also recommend new stools and only two. looks a little crowded.
    queenbee7 thanked Gina P
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    9 years ago
    I like the third one best. It reminds me of the Colonial Gold we used in our kitchen.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    The pic you posted of large slab is perfect. I've used it many times it will go with your cabinets also. Perfect! Look no further.
    queenbee7 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    The 1st slab.
    queenbee7 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • User
    9 years ago
    Soapstone would be perfect.
  • PRO
    innercalm
    9 years ago
    Sienna Beige looks like it will blend well with your existing decor. You can always use accessories or paint for accent color. Getting a new sink and faucet is like adding jewelry to the design if budget allows, and then there are back splash decisions...
    queenbee7 thanked innercalm
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    sienna beige is the clear best choice.
    queenbee7 thanked bgfuqua
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Which did you choose, queenbee7?
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    whatever the decision was… i'll throw my vote onto the sienna beige pile.
    queenbee7 thanked Kivi
  • queenbee7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really thought sienna beige was the only thing that I liked, until I saw a black cardova. Now I think this is the one for us! Now we just have to decide whether to get it brushed or leave it polished. Comments???
  • queenbee7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not the best picture, but same slab as above.
  • PRO
    Gold
    9 years ago
    1st or 3rd slab would be fine. the 2nd slab is too grey form the pictures. I would paint your stools for sure. Otherwise they just blend in. Perhaps a fun color like barn red or a semi sheer green stain that lets some of the grain come through? Pick a color you have now and repeat it in the stools.
    queenbee7 thanked Gold
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like that granite- it will look good either way polished or brushed. But polished will repel staining much more than brushed (honed?) and the color is deeper , more enhanced with a polished surface.
    queenbee7 thanked asquithoatley
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of honed finish, but I love the brushed/leathered finish. I would pick it over the polished. I think it would look great with the new stone you picked.
    queenbee7 thanked Kivi
  • sammy3283
    9 years ago
    I would stain the cabinets en an espresso and use the lighter granite, would match your dining table better, and the dark cabinets on light wood floors would look great. But if it isn't possible then I would go with the other one. Good luck
    queenbee7 thanked sammy3283
  • PRO
    Pam Chapman Architect
    9 years ago
    I agree with sienna beige, a much warmer choice.
    queenbee7 thanked Pam Chapman Architect
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Sienna beige all the way!! The last one Black Cordova looks very blue with green. It is a beautiful granite, but I think Sienna works better with your cabinetry. I wouldn't paint the stools - I'd replace them with stools that have the same "X" back as your dining chairs in either dark brown or black to match your appliances.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Designs by Jeffrey F. Krider
    7 years ago

Just curious, 2 years later whose advice did you initially take and

have you repainted the room since? Thanks