Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredsbog

Source for Haemanthus species

fredsbog
15 years ago

I am looking for a U. S. source for Haemanthus species. I am particularly interested in coccineus, diformis, sanguineus and albiflos.

I've seen these plants in flower at a botanical garden but couldn't get any information on sources. I also did a google search with little results.

These will make a nice addition to my other south African plants Welwitschia, Satyrium and a couple of African Oxalis plants

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• bubba62
    15 years ago

I can't remember if she has those species on her list, but Ellen Hornig at Seneca Hill Perennials grows and sells lots of South African bulbs, including Haemanthus, Cyrtanthus, and others. Her website has an entire section of SA plants which might be of interest, and lots of them are proving hardy for her in upstate New York.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seneca Hill Perennials

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

These are all really common species, but this is the wrong time of year for shipping of course. Albiflos and deformis are evergreen while the other 2 are winter growers. I got rid of all of my extras of all of these species on ebay last year and you can find them for sale on ebay (albiflos and coccineus are there often). You should also check out Telos as they have them. Check out Guy Wrinkle for coccineus as I think he also has flowering size bulbs available now. Honestly, I do not think you will have any problem finding these :o) Dan

• fredsbog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! those are two great sources for a number of interesting things. I can't believe I spent several hours on google trying to locate these plants and found almost nothing.

I'll be placing an order when the weather permits, I am still most interested in H. diformis which neither of the sources you suggested had. Any other suggestions for this species would be appreciated. I'll also keep a look out on ebay!

Fred

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Well, I am going to import from a place in South Africa that I know has deformis so I can get you one if you want it....they have larger ones and small ones. I am getting some other things so can add these if you want to go that route.....and NO, I will not say who I am getting them from since this is my first import from a new nursery. Let me know :o) Dan

• fredsbog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dan, Thanks for the generous offer! One would be nice, Two would be fantastic (I have it on good authority that diformis is not self fertile). Importing plants has always seemed too scary for me. I'll also be more than happy to pay a portion of the shipping and Phyto.

Shoot me an email privately with the particulars. Let me know also what it is that you might be looking for. I have some good sources for other rarer plants and do flasking of south African and Australian terrestrial orchids in my basement.

Fred

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'm glad I stopped in to check... Seneca Hill Perennials has many delightful offerings! Thank you for that link!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations