Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlover_7

Newbie: question on Crocosmia

gardenlover_7
17 years ago

Hi Everybody:

First of all, please accept my apologies for asking such a dumb and basic question and please excuse my ignorance.

I bought some crocosmia Bulbs/Corms/Rhizomes in middle to late February. I never had any experience with these bulbs before. I never even seen how the bulbs look like or should look like. I am in zone 7 or 6 B, New Mexico and our average last frost date is April 15 and so I planted these bulbs in the third or fourth week of April. Until then, I did not even unpack the packet, just left it in garage where the temparatures stayed well above 32F. When I unpacked the bag, they looked kind of like rally hard pebbles. I thought it was not a good sign. They looked suspcious, but having never seen these bulbs before, I was not sure whether or not they are viable. I thought I might as well plant them and see. In any case, I planted them according to the directions(about two or three inches below the soil). I planted them in my flower bed which has several flowering plants so I water the bed twice a day (in our dry desert climate without natural rain, they will perish otherwise). When I was planting these crocosmia bulbs, I also planted some cannas and dahlias and most of them came up, however, not even one crocosmia or blade of grass showed up. I am just curious as to what went wrong. Do you think the bulbs have no viability to start with or is it something I have or have not done.

I tried googling the pictures of crocosmia bulbs, however, it only came up with the pictures of the plants and flowers.

Once again, sorry to ask such stupid question but my curiosity got better of me.

thanks in advance

Garden Lover

Comments (4)