Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runrabbitrun01

planting bulbs in late November?

runrabbitrun01
9 years ago

Hi all,

I want to plant some tulip bulbs at my mom's house as a wedding gift to her and her husband, who live in Central Kansas. Their wedding is on Nov. 22nd 2014, and I won't be able to make it down any earlier than that weekend. I'm wondering if it will still be ok to plant them at that time of year, or if there was anything I could do before then to ensure they set (get them started rooting in a pot now then transplant to ground Nov. 22?)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Err tulips are nice...but I'd think something that would persist more than a single season would be better (than tulips, which are usually planted as annuals in most of the US).

That being said, if you can dig them into the ground appropriately, keep them cool and dry till then.

If ground is frozen and covered with snow...we can't help you.

• runrabbitrun01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice, dbarron! Do you have any suggestions as to good perennial bulbs? I'd like to be able to plant a variety of colors...

Thanks!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Daffodils are perennial and come in pinks, yellows, oranges and white.

Alliums are perennial and come in purple, white and yellow. Both of these types are quite pest-proof as well.

Although it isn't recommended, I have planted bulbs in late November. Plant deep (don't cheat on the recommended depth), water in well, and add a light coating of mulch to prevent heaving.)

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Tulips can be planted with no special treatment as long as you can still dig the holes for them. Kansas should definitely provide enough winter cooling for flowers next spring, even from a November planting, although the bloom is likely to be later than if the planting were in the ground earlier. They definitely benefit from being lifted and reset every year; however some judicious fertilization a couple of times in the spring will result in better year to year survival without digging. Or they can be treated like an annual display.

I plant my tulips with my garlic. I lift both yearly and if the stems are left intact my tulips of all sizes cure very nearly 100%. They are lifted earlier than the garlic though and are definitely cured before the garlic is ready to dig; so the tulips are done and stored before the racks are needed for the alliums.

• emerogork
    9 years ago

I have heard tell of people using a pick axe to chop through frozen ground to plant bulbs. I have never tried it.

Many claim that tulips tend to be annual but I must have stubborn ones that have been coming back year after year. Occasionally, I do add more but it is rare.

The picture shows a 50 year old Forsythia growing with Orange Emperor tulips.

• runrabbitrun01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback!!! and lovely photo, Emerogork2! I love those colors together!

After some more thought, I'm planning on going with a peony bush or two. My mom had peonies that she loved at the house she moved from when she got engaged, so it will be perfect to plant some new ones at her new home. Plus, they grow well in our zone. Now it's on to peruse the peony forum to find the perfect one!

Thanks for your tips on planting in late November.. We'll give it a try!

• emerogork
    9 years ago

Look up "Festiva Maxima" it is bright white with small streaks of dark red. My favorite.

• runrabbitrun01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is gorgeous.. looks very classic! I bet it smells nice.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths