Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_loam_ranger

To Mulch or Not to Mulch...

the_loam_ranger
18 years ago

Hi, Y'all--

Haven't been around much since last spring...hanging out too much on the Texas forum, I guess *grin*...

The bulb bed that I "established" (using the term loosely) last fall was pretty much a disappointment this season...don't know why, as I did everything "by the book". Everything that needed chilling, was, and for the recommended length of time. Everything was planted at the proper depth in good, very well-draining sandy loam. Everything was fertilized as recommended. And most of them were purchased from reputable suppliers (B&B and VE). Nevertheless, some of those bulbs didn't come up at all, and the display, from the ones that did come up, was less than spectacular. I've decided to fertilize heavily (bulb fertilizer, of course), then just wait and see what happens next spring, before I spend (waste?) any more $$, however. If that's not really the right course of action, please feel free to jump in here and make alternative suggestions.

Anyway, here's my problem and the real point of this post:

Despite my best efforts at keeping it out, the "crap-grass" got away from me during the summer (just TOO HOT here to get out and do anything in July, August, and--this year--September), and now the whole bed is a weedy, overgrown mess.

And here's my question:

Once I get out there (now that it's FINALLY cool enough) and clean all the grass out, can I put down a 2" or 3" layer of cedar mulch to keep it from coming back? Everything I read says to mulch AFTER the ground freezes--but that very rarely happens here. If I do lay down mulch, will everything (hopefully) come up through it?

Your wiser-than-me suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated...

TIA and best to all,

Cheryl

Comments (2)