Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robyn_tx

2013 Spring Plan - Too Much?

robyn_tx
11 years ago

This garden is situated in the side yard between house and fence. I've grown great 'maters, peppers, chard, spinach, herbs, and sunflowers here, so it gets ample sun. Soil is native (Dallas Prairie Woods and some clay, amended with compost and greensand). I'm organic - no chemicals, no fertilizers (other than compost and some alfalfa pellets), no herbicides or pesticides.

This will be my first year of using this space in its entirety with a more robust garden plan, since my soil is finally ready after three years of amending/improving.

Question is: do you think it's too crowded? I like using as much soil as possible to prevent weeds and keep things shaded/cool (this is Texas, you know?), but given that it's in a side yard, I'm still a little hesitant on how much I'm thinking of cramming into this space. Some stuff will be done early, like spinach, lettuce, beets, etc., to give some breathing room ... and the 'maters will be spaced a tad further apart. It is open on both ends for air flow south to north. But I have the pole beans planned at the south end, which would block any prevailing breeze (if you can call wind movement in Texas heat "breeze" LOL).

Thoughts?

Comments (4)