Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kapustak8

On-Line Garden Journals...websites?

coffeehaus
14 years ago

I've been keeping paper garden journals for years, but lately have been trying to find a good website for on-line record keeping. For the past year, I have used MyFolia.com, but it's a bit too many steps to post a simple planting, and seems more geared to the Canadian gardener. I've also tried Greenthumbjournal.com, but can't seem to get back on the website after joining...just never connects. Aside from keeping a blog, has anyone found a good website that provides on-line record keeping designed for gardeners? Ideally, this would include templates for names/varieties of plants/seeds, sources, sowing dates, days to maturity/harvest, and options for notations such as taste, pests, weather, photos, etc. Seems like this would be very popular, but I can't find much in the way of offerings.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Learn2grow.com offers one you might like.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn 2 Grow

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

http://www.gardensimply.com/

Nice online Gardening journal

• mailman22
    14 years ago

Ok, I checked through the learn2grow site, but I cannot find the on-line journal. I did see an article on how to make a 3 ring binder, but no on-line record keeping.
    Am I blind? ;)

• coffeehaus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mailman...same here. I don't see an on-line option.
    Rose, I see a link to a subscription service offering on-line journal access (plangarden.com), but being the cheapskate that I am, I was looking for a free site. Is there a different link on the gardensimply site?

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

I have been considering adding something like that to my own website... I pretty much know what I would like to have for my own use, but what would others like to see in that sort of thing? Did the original poster capture it pretty well? How would you want to be able to sort/view it? By crop? Planting date? Something else?

• organicdan
    14 years ago

I used to post my journal in the now defunct MSN Groups site. It was nice to be able to post text, pictures, doc and spreadsheet files. I have turned to a computer file for my journal. I share the file but am only able to post text and pictures in our new group home. File sharing is now by requests.

The current journal file is prepared in MS Word and MS Publisher. It has 20-22 pages which can be copied and pasted as desired. In preparation I aimed at including anything and everything that a gardener might want a journal. All the standard stuff for planning and records is accompanied with pages for pictures. Any pages found lacking/absent can be edited or created.

I use it on the computer but have printed it off as gifts for other gardeners. Each year I simply change the date for the file name. Good details for me for management and planning.

Sharing your garden experience on-line is great when you have the format that allows your expression. Keeping a detailed journal is more important for me than sharing it all on-line. Sharinf sites come and go, especially the free ones.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

My fault. I mis-interpreted your original post and thought you were looking for how to set one up instructions - which learn2grow offers - rather than actually keeping the journal online there.

IME most set up their online garden journal on their personal blog - lots of free sites for a blog - and I assumed that is what you were after. Sorry. Personally I prefer to have mine be portable so I can take it to the garden. Otherwise too much info never gets entered. ;)

Dave

• bomber095
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link Dave. I just started a blog over there

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting