Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fronix_gw

HELP! New Gardner Needs Tips!!!

fronix
10 years ago

Good evening all. Please see the picture I have attached. This is my first garden so ANY tips are appreciated. I have a couple questions.

1. The Jalepeno plants came in 3 plants in 1 pot. Should I have broke these apart or planted all 3 together?

2. Do you think I can fit a line of something down the middle?

Any general tips on my little garden would be appreciated. I want to add about 10 more plants. I remember gardening as a child and I am really interested in starting it again. THANK YOU!

This post was edited by fronix on Thu, May 23, 13 at 23:52

Comments (5)

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

If those are tomato plants, I think you planted them too close. They will need room as they grow.

I don't think you can fit any veggies in the middle. Maybe some herbs on the side like dill or parsley??

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Ok. Because they came as 3 plants in a pot, does not mean that they should or can be planted the same way.

Therefore , they should be separated and planted individually, at a minimum spacing of 15 inches and staked. 2ft will be better

AS mentioned, the tomatoes are also planted to closely together. Depending on type, they require 2-3ft spacing. If you are short on garden spot may get by 18" but then you have to keep pruning constantly. They, also need to be staked, caged... or supported by some other means.

• brittanyw
    10 years ago

For the jalapeno plants ... they shouldn't have been sold that way, because once the plants are of a certain size they're almost impossible to separate without serious damage. Grr. Not your fault, but ... I think it would be a good idea to just kill two of the plants (of the three that are growing together from the same pot) and leave the healthiest looking one to grow. Cut them off at the base with scissors or something. It will hurt your heart, but I think it has to be done. Otherwise the plants, growing in such proximity, will not be healthy and will not produce well.

The tomatoes do look too close together. If they are indeterminate varieties, you could prune the suckers as they grow out. This will diminish your yield overall by QUITE a bit, but it will help make sure the plants are able to get enough nutrients to produce some good fruit. Don't know if there's anything to be done about determinates though. Alternatively, you could try removing every other tomato plant (if it hasn't been too long since transplant) and move them elsewhere ... possibly. Tomatoes are, luckily, some of the most transplant-friendly plants around.

I don't think you could fit more plants in there, though. Because they are so close together, I'd leave the extra space free (and enriched with compost, fertilizer, etc) so that the roots of the current plants have somewhere to grow, even if it's not ideal.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

If it hasn't been more than a few days since transplant, you should pull the peppers and use containers -- 5 gal minimum. You'll get a nice harvest with minimum investment.

Regarding the one that came as three -- take it and put in a bucket of water. Swish it up and down, knocking loose as much soil as possible. Take a spray nozzle on water hose and spray off even more soil -- gently. Then, when almost all soil is removed and all you got is the 3 plants and a wad of roots, GENTLY tug them apart slowly. You can then take each one and plant individually.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then just follow brittany's idea.

Ideally, 3 feet is acceptable spacing for tomatoes -- unless they're determinate. maybe 2 feet min if they are. So, leave the above plot just for maters.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I would do what woohooman described to SOME extent. Just to put in water and shake a bit until the roots are untangled. I would NOT wash it with hose or anything else. washing it , to me, does not serve a purpose.

Also, depending on how close they are , you might be able to break them off without needing to soak. The Least disturbance possible the better it is. You may also use a sharp knife to cut to separate them, if they are not too close.
    On the other hand, if you just need 3 plants, just cut 2 off and leave one. DO NOT pull them up. It can disturb the one you want to keep.