Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellabee_gw

Fairytale Pumpkin//Ever Grown?

Stellabee
11 years ago

If anyone in the Southeast (especially those who deal with red clay) has grown a Fairytale Pumpkin, I would love to know how this heirloom varietal did in your garden. I appreciate that they are so pretty and edible too, so please advise if you have first hand experience growing them.

Thank You!

Stellabee

Comments (4)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Well, I'm in Michigan, but I'll answer. Yes, a number of times. They are fun to grow, and nice for fall displays. I found the flesh quality good, not too stringy, decent orange color, but I've always found them to be extremely watery, not a problem, just requires a lot of straining and pressing when preparing them for use.

• Stellabee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Denninmi,
    Thanks for the input, even if you're not from 'round these here parts;-)
    By the way, does the soil in your area of Michigan have clay? If not, what is it like (maybe I can create something similar to grow the pumpkins in...)?
    StellaBee

• Trishcuit
    11 years ago

Never grown Fairytale. I have grown Cinderella before,a couple times. Nice looking pumpkin. I never got to eat mine last year because they fell victim to children picking and smashing. Grrrr.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

OK, I'm not from the Southeast either. ;-) My area has heavy soil with a high clay content. Fertile & hard to work in Spring, but probably not the same as the red clay in your area. Mine is high pH (around 8.0) due to limestone bedrock.

The pumpkin I've most often heard described as the "fairytale pumpkin" is the French variety "Rouge Vif D'Etampes". I suspect the same variety is probably marketed under several different names. Given Denninmi's description of its table quality, I'm guessing his was the same one, or very similar.

Mine got fairly large, 15-20 pounds or so. They turn a deep orange-red when ripe. Very pretty, but I like my squash fine-grained, dry and tasty - and it was none of the above. You might be able to process it, but there's probably 100 squashes I would rather eat, so I won't grow it again.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting