Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyman720

Putting down straw without newspaper?

sandyman720
12 years ago

All,

So about 3 weeks ago I tilled and planted all of my pepper, and tomato seedlings. I also direct sowed my cut flower garden, squash, and cukes.

It is filled with weeds! I mean 1 ft high in some spots. Unbeleivable. I planned to pull them all then spread down newspaper and cover with straw. Problem is, the newspaper that I used to go to to get the end of the paper rolls does not give them out anymore. There is no way I will be able to lay down single sheets of paper for my 12x60 garden.

Do you think I would be able to lay straw directly over the soil? Or will it be useless against the weeds?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (7)

• gjcore
    12 years ago

Straw will cut down on weeding quite a bit even without newspaper. It needs to be put on fairly thick to work effectively. When I first started using straw it seemed like I was using way too much 5-10 inches of loose straw. But it settles down fairly quickly if it's kept moist.

I haven't mulched yet with straw this year because my soil hasn't warmed up enough in the areas I'll be using it which is mostly around peppers, tomatoes, melons and winter squash.

• gardenman101
    12 years ago

The only reason to really use newspaper with straw mulch is when there is still seedheads on the straw/hay. There are varying grades of mulch so the cheaper the mulch the more need for paper. I use paper no matter what becuase i think it attracts more earthworms and that is always a plus. But as stated above you really have to pile it on thick esp w/o paper. A 10" pile of straw will settle to 4-6" when it finally settles.

• colleen_mi
    12 years ago

You don't have to use newspaper, but I like to, also because of earthworms and moisture retention. Can you ask around and see if your neighbors have some newspapers? Maybe you'll find a packrat like me who saves them. :-)

• defrost49
    12 years ago

How about breaking down some carboard boxes? I've seen tons of them in dumpsters behind some stores.

• gardenman101
    12 years ago

I find cardboard is good for pathways but it is to stiff for putting around plants. I wound up with broken plants becuase of cardboard around them, but if you put it in pathways with some sort of mulch on top it is excellent. Plus the earthworms really really love it.

• Scampitoo
    12 years ago

For the first time in my gardening history, I wanted to use newspaper & straw this year but don't know anyone with newspapers so I looked up "newspaper recycle center" for our town online. We have two nearby. One of the recepticles is easily accessible so I have collected plenty and store them in a plastic bin in my garden.

We had a big rain and now hot temps. Guess what? There is a new round of weeds coming through where I put straw only. I'll have to draw back the straw and get rid of the weeds then lay paper under the straw. Wish I would have laid all this when I first planted, 6 weeks ago, before the vining plants began to grow. It's back breaking to lift the vine and lay the paper but... looks great, my veggies will be clean and hopefully the gophers will not eat the bottoms this year!

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I use cardboard. I wet it and then separate the layers and tear it up. A bit of work but it works well if you get regular rainfall and the cardboard can stay moist.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022