Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantfreak727

have a plant you wish you never ever bought home?

plantfreak727
17 years ago

Hello fellow house plant freaks,

Have a plant you hate or wish you never took home with you?

My number one candidate would have to be this "jade" plant i bought home from Wal-Mart about a week or two ago. Not sure of the exact name but i have a name for it... Hideous! Ever since i bought it home, it's done nothing but break, look ugly and just be a waste of space. I truly wish i never bought it home and i can't wait for it to die so i don't have to look at it anymore. I'd love for Peyton Manning to field goal kick this ugly thing from the 35 yard line, just to see it break into thousands of pieces.

My camera is broken, so unfortunently, i can't post a pic as of this writing, but i will get another camera and take a picture of it soon

- Pete

Comments (9)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Do you have the name of this plant? I wonder if they overwatered it and it is rotting? Hmmmmm....

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Do you know anyone who is knowledgeable in houseplant culture? It would be nice to 'gift' your unwanted plant to someone who can be successful with it. Jade plants (if that's what it is) aren't everyone's cup of tea.

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Pete, if you're talking about the one you posted in your recent thread that you called a jade, it really isn't a jade at all. Maybe you should repost the pic so that someone can help you ID it. Even if your camera is broken, you can post a link to the thread or better yet, just go to photobucket and get the pic from there. I'm sure some people here can help you out and give you advice on what you can do to possibly save it. It's a nice plant (if we're talking about the same one), so it would be a shame to see you throw it away.
    Gabi

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Not to add insult to injury but you could root those breaking parts and then just train them to a shape/look that is pleasing to you. Sandy (who has way too many cuttings)

• plantfreak727
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Gabro,

The plant i was talking about was the one that has the plastic cover around it. I forgot to mention that the plastic cover was open on both ends. Like i mentioned in the Cacti & Succulents Forum, the plant was top heavy, and would topple over easily. Well a few days ago, it got knocked and toppled onto the cement floor, which caused it to break into 20 or so pieces. There isn't much left of it, so the only thing i could do was scoop up the stems and leaves that broke off and put them in some soil in hopes that they might root. Now, the plant is looking very much like it is destined for the dumpster soon. It wasn't holding on much before it took it's spill, and i'm not sure that it will pull thru being destroyed. Oh well like i said before, i never really liked the plant in the first place.

- Pete

• User
    17 years ago

Hi Pete,

Don't know what it was, but if it was anything like a Jades & you kept the bits & pieces, I'd suggest taking them out of the soil, lying them ON TOP OF, not in the mix & NOT WATERING AT ALL. Give them the best light you've got, keep them away from the cold & it's possible they'll sprout either little rootlets or baby leaves.

In future, it might help for topheavy plants or those which topple easily, to set some rocks into the pot on top of the mix, say btwn the plant & the edge of the pot. Giving it some added weight often helps. I've done this w/ some large-leafed Sans & some Orchids, helps keep them from toppling over.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

PG, thats what's keeping my scheff upright. And I had to resort to a bag of buckshot once (25lb., size of a brick) to counter balance an overgrown yucca til I could cut it back. Sandy

• fred_grow
    17 years ago

No I can honestly say I have no plants I regret buying. Even the ones that haven't done well have taught me something and I enjoyed them while they lasted.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Can't think of any off-hand, tho' I've been given some I wasn't all that enthusiastic about, but as fred grow said above I at least learned something from them. I'm lucky in belonging to a plant-exchange group, and I can always take things that don't suit me too well for that. Actually, I usually take starts of plants I like especially!