Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatgooglymoogly_gw

Not sure what type of squash this is....

GreatGooglyMoogly
10 years ago

I was given some squash by a friend, but I am not sure what type this one is. I believe it is a spaghetti squash, but all the other ones I have seen are yellow. Also, how would you recommend cooking it? Looking for a meal with squash and sausage possibly. Any help appreciated.

This post was edited by GreatGooglyMoogly on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 9:26

Comments (15)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    10 years ago

I've grown spaghetti squash just once but as I recall it's a winter type squash that needs to be cured in the field a while before harvesting and storage. The curing process results in a yellow squash not green, so your friend may have picked it too early for use as intended.

• GreatGooglyMoogly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply vgkg. If I let it sit for a while will it turn yellow? Should I put it outside in the sun, or is it a lost cause? What might it taste like if I used it now as is?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It isn't spaghetti squash for sure. Spaghetti squash is never that color. it also isn't butternut, or any other type of commonly grown winter squash.

It is most likely some sort of cross pollinated squash grown from seed that was crossed last season. There has been 2 previous posts here about squash just like this in the last couple of weeks.

People have no idea how easily squash cross pollinate so saved seeds or volunteer plants produce things like this.

The taste of it, no matter how long you wait, is unknown. All you can do is try it and see.

Dave

• GreatGooglyMoogly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave guess I will just have to try it. I will ask my friend to see if it is saved seeds he used or something else. Would it be possible for him to have planted regular spaghetti squash seeds and have them cross pollinate this year to produce this? I would like to see the other posts you are referencing; if you wouldn't mind, could you post the links?

BTW- What is a volunteer plant?

This post was edited by GreatGooglyMoogly on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 11:23

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Looks like a type I got in a medley seed pack. I think it's a magda hybrid. They waited too long to pick it, they start looking like small watermelons when you wait too long, LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Magda hybrid summer squash

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

To add, since it's overgrown, might not be good for much. The core gets very spongey. I did have luck just cutting out the core and seeds and cooking the firm edges on the ones I had that overgrew.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

If your friend is growing different varieties of squash, the cross-pollination wouldn't affect this years crop. The cross-pollination from this year would only affects the seeds, not the fruit itself. Now if your friend saved those seeds, the entire squash fruit would be affected. I've included one of the mystery squash posts below.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash lovers: please identify

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 11:46

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Spaghetti squash do come in different colors. However if it is a winter squash, check to make sure the rind is hard (too hard to cut with a finger nail). If it is, split remove seeds and as would any pumpkin or other winter squash. If it is a spaghetti squash, the flesh will be very stringy and you will know immediately. It is possible that it an overgrown zucchini, but it would have to be a stubby grey type. also possible a Delicata type or as has been suggested a mixed breed.

• GreatGooglyMoogly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks CaraRose!! You pinned the type! I did a google image search for magda hybrid and they look exactly like it. Thanks for the link theforgottenone, but it is slightly different. Thanks for the info farmerdill. I will be cutting it open tonight and will let you all know how it looks/feels inside and how it tastes.

BTW- Itilton you said it is too late for summer squash; I plant mine in mid to late may by seed, and am still getting new zuchini.

This post was edited by GreatGooglyMoogly on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 12:06

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I mean - that particular squash fruit is too far overgrown to treat as a summer squash.

Some squash - forex tromboncino - are commonly used both as a summer and a winter squash. Squash are squash, but some are bred to taste best when fully mature and some are bred to be best eaten when very immature.

• thirsty_dirt_77
    10 years ago

I grew "Small Wonder" spaghetti squash last yr that looked like that but it was almost perfectly round. I'm busy shucking peas at the moment but later I'll look for and post a picture for comparison. BTW when it ripened it turned yellow.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

Too bad they let it get that size... Magda, when picked at a fairly small size (no more than 1/3 the size of that one) are absolutely delicious.

Edie

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

True Magda is an excellent mideastern zucchini as is Barq. this one is definitely not Magda or any one of middle eastern varieties.
    {{gwi:35947}} {{gwi:9480}}
    These types including Basima, Alexandria etc light green with no grey zuke markings even when oversize. {{gwi:35946}}

• PRO
    Tiles with Style
    2 years ago

Mix of Green Spaghetti Squash and Trivoli Spaghetti Squash...

This is how the Green Spaghetti Squash look near harvest. You can no longer tell the difference between the two species...

I wait until the stem that attaches to the squash dies before picking them. It's a daily look through the patch. You can ONLY freeze squash or store it in a cool place for about 3 months. DO NOT process it in a canner or pressure canner; UNSAFE. Don't believe everything that you read or watch on the Web.