Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Quick question about Al's gritty mix

quinnfyre
14 years ago

I apologize if this was answered somewhere and I missed it, but I finally managed to get the stuff to make the gritty mix, except for the gypsum. Is this something that can be added later, or is it best to be added to the mix before using it? Also, what is CRF?

Thanks! I'm excited to try it out, but wanted to know about the gypsum before potting a plant into a mix without it.

Comments (10)

• Mentha
    14 years ago

Try a farm supply or a farmer's co-op they may have gypsum. I bought it in a 50 lb bag for about $10 and it goes a loooong way.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

The gypsum is easy to find, so I'd wait so you can incorporate it evenly. Espoma also packages it in 5 lb bags for about the same price as 50 lb bags, available where they sell Espoma products.

CRF is controlled release fertilizer (like Osmocote). You don't really need it if you're conscientious about fertilizing regularly with a soluble fertilizer.

Al

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out what CRF stood for, thanks!

Also, thanks for the quick answer about the gypsum. I'll try to see if I can locate it somewhere within walking distance, otherwise, I'll have to try and find a ride to Home Depot or Lowes. Or order it. Though I feel like I did too much of that lately. It is the easiest way for someone who doesn't have a car to get stuff, however.

14 years ago

If you're not in a big hurry, I'll send you some before the weekend - let me know.

Al

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your kind offer. I'm not in a big hurry, but I'm going to wander around tomorrow for a bit to see if I can locate any. I have a couple places in mind. If I don't find it at either of those locations, I may have to take you up on your offer. I only have small amounts of the other ingredients, so it's kind of amusing to get a big ole bag of it. I already have a big bag of diatomaceous earth, that will probably get used up in the next millenia at the rate I'm using it, ha.

14 years ago

It IS the calcined product that looks like gravel, right? NAPA floor-dry?

I can easily send a pound or two of gypsum, which should serve the average hobbyist for a good long while. ;o)

Good luck.

Al

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I have diatomaceous earth for insect control. It looks like flour. I'm using that for ants and other beasties. I have Turface for use in the gritty mix. Actually, at the moment, I have quite the collection of planting mediums or ingredients in my room. Hydroton, ProMix, tree fern fiber, coco fiber reptile bedding, perlite, vermiculite, charcoal, sphagnum moss, bark mix, plus the stuff for the gritty mix. I actually use it all too, funny enough.

14 years ago

OK - I just wanted to be sure you weren't using the DE powder as a part of the gritty mix. ;o)

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Quinnfyre,

I don't now about you, but I definately see a mamber who wants to see you suceed as I have done thus far...;-)

I wish you the best. I know your plants will florish in the gritty mix..

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I struck out on finding the gypsum at Lowes : ( I felt fairly certain I could find it there. How annoying. I might be able to find it at this florist/small garden center, but I think that is unlikely. I'll try looking there anyway, since I have to run errands in that general area tomorrow.

I did go ahead and use some gritty mix sans gypsum for some succulent cuttings, just to get them into something for now. Hopefully that won't be a terrible thing, but I figured succulents could tough it out for a while.