Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

are these tomato hornworms, or a tobacco hornworms?

ams2009
14 years ago

I've been finding these fatties in my container garden, mostly on my bell pepper plants, but on my tomatoes too. They totally stripped one of my pepper plants down to almost nothing, in about one or two days I think, because I check them everyday, and looked out there one day and noticed the plant looked "different" to say the least, I took a closer look and this is what I found

Here is a link that might be useful: are they Tomato or Tobacco hornworms??

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Yep, those are hornworms.

Dave

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

Looks like the more common tobacco hornworm. Tomato hornworms have some speckles on them, and I think that their horn is dark instead of reddish.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

They are very closely related. the tobacco hornworm is Manduca sexta, the tomato hormworm is Manduca quinquemaculata. Both feed on essentally the same types of plants notable Solanaceae. Tobbaco hornworms have seven straight diagional stripes on its sides, the tomato hornworm has eight v-shaped markings on its side.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    14 years ago

Having trouble keeping the two hornworms straight? I recently heard this tall tale and will never forget which is which again:

The tobacco hornworm likes to smoke tobacco products so much that he has cigarette shaped markings on his side (the straight diagonal lines). The tomato hornworm does not like tobacco....maybe is even an ex-smoker. He has broken cigarettes (V shaped markings) adorning his sides.

I've found lots of these caterpillers on tomatoes and a few on potatoes, but never found any on the nearby peppers even though all three are favorite foods. After seeing what's left of your pepper, I'm glad they never made it to my peppers. Tomatoes always grow much quicker for me and still stand a chance after the hornworms. The peppers would probably be done for the year.

• ams2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I was thinking they were tobacco, since they haven't been after my tomatoes they way they have been after my peppers! Actually, the bell pepper plant in this picture, recovered quite nicely! It is full of tiny little peppers and leaves again. The last time they a different bell pepper plant, and I was amazed that it came back, they got to it before it had produced, and as far as I could see, there was not a single leaf left on it, but I kept watering it when I would water the others and within a few weeks, it was full of leaves and then started to flower and produce, they seem to recover almost as fast as the worms eat them, lol.

• knittlin
    14 years ago

Ha, Naturegirl! I don't think I'll ever forget which is which now either! LOL!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

For me, the easiest way of distinguishing between the two is in the color of their horns. Red for the common Tobacco hornworm, and black (or nearly so) for the Tomato hw.

Doesn't matter much, since they both eat the same foods.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sorry I missed that you were ask WHICH hornworm. But as rhizo said, it really doesn't make any difference. ;)

Dave

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

This might help also...

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU Hornworm info