Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osos_kitty

I just started 4 mango seeds from grocery store mangos.i have ???

osos_kitty
13 years ago

Well i have four seeds i took out of the mangos i bought at stater bros.(grocery store)and i found a video that said to place them in female sanitary pads and wrap them up and wet them and leave them for three days and so far its been two days and i open them just to see whats working and i saw that one is already getting somethime sticking out like growing i think cuz thats how it looked on the video i saw

okay so my questions are what are some things i should know about taking care of it how long will it take to grow if it does that is which i think at least one of the four will...im 19 and i just got into planting and my uncle told me that mangos arent likling to grow here in colton, califorina which is south cali about an hour from LA...

id like to add pix if someone would tell me how thanx and i also hear that once i plant them outside that christmas lights will help in the winter time is that true? id like to know all i can know ive been reading throw meny of the postings and i like the way ppl share on this sit.

Comments (8)

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

Bravo...a 19 YEAR OLD GARDENER...bravo to you. Although I never heard of the maxipad idea for sprouting..it seems like a good idea. It reminds me of how folks start avocado seeds by sticking them with toothpicks and suspending the seed in water 1/2 way. I am sure mango's would grow in the warm climate of Colton since they are a tropical fruit. Did the video tell you want to do after they start to sprout? A tree in general will take some time to get big enough to produce an abundant amount of fruit.
    I found this information on another website

Purchase a large healthy mango at the grocery store. Keep in mind that a healthy fruit will often produce the healthiest seeds. Resist the temptation to purchase a shriveled mango for a discounted price just to get the seed.

Step 2
    Slice and eat the mango. Be careful not to cut into the husky seed in the center.

Step 3
    Remove the seed husk and wash any remaining mango meat from the husk. Scrub lightly with a scouring brush to remove any residue. Set aside to dry for a few days.

Step 4
    Pry the husk open with a butter knife once it begins to crack slightly. You can also cut a thin slice around the rim of the husk until you see a tiny opening to the inside. Crack the entire husk open and remove the giant lima bean-shaped seed.

Step 5
    Use care when handling the seed as it may have a large root that has begun to grow. If the root is present, do not remove it. Don't worry if there isn't any root, yet. There is plenty of time for your seed to grow.

Step 6
    Fill a 6-inch pot with a regular potting soil. One with extended release fertilizer is a good choice. Be sure the soil is fully moistened before planting your mango seed.

Step 7
    Make a small indentation in the center of the pot. Plant your mango seed with the curved edges down and the rounded hump just above the surface of the soil. Cover the seed, leaving the very tip of the hump visible.

Step 8
    Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. Place the seed in a sunny location where the temperature will remain as close to 80 degrees as possible for the next week. Cover loosely with a clear plastic bag to increase the temperature and humidity level. The seed should germinate within a week.

Step 9
    Try sprouting your mango seed in a layer of moist paper towels. Insert the seed and paper towels in a plastic storage bag and set it in a warm location. The top of a TV or water heater works great. Once roots have developed, plant the seed in potting soil and place in a sunny location.

Here is a link that might be useful: grow a mango tree

• osos_kitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanx and all four have spouted one more then the others but theyre all looking good im planting today and tomorrow in dirt from the around the fruit trees outside(pamaganit,peach,egeals,and lime)
    i didnt know they should stick out of the dirt ill remember that thanx

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

@Kitty -

95% of Mango varieties won't grow true from seed. They will grow and fruit after about 7 years, but the fruit will be inferior 99% of the time. Nam Doc Mai is one of the few varieties that will grow true. Don't waste time planting the seeds unless all you want is a landscape tree. Buy a grafted good variety.

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

@pipsqueek - stalking me again huh? get a life and professional seek help

• aijiko
    7 years ago

I disagree with nighthawk. Learning how to take care of the seed and grow the tree to maturity is always good practice. Whether or not you get good edible fruit in the end doesn't matter nearly as much as learning from experience. It will help later with raising other plants. Also, you never know, while it isn't likely, it is possible to get decent fruit. But you definitely won't if you don't try.

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I disagree with aijiko. Teach kids how to properly grow food and do it the right way, not house plants. Fruit trees aren't the same as tomato plants. Don't waste 7 years of the kids life only to find out she grew a Mango that tasted like fibrous crap. Want to grow one from seed fine. Teach her the difference between Polyembryonic & Monoembryonic mango seeds to begin with. Also if kids want to grow a fruit tree from seed have them start out with citrus (i.e. lemon trees) which grow true to the parent.

• Kate
    6 years ago

Sprouting a seed and growing a plant from something that you ate is never a waste of time! It's incredibly rewarding and addicting once you get your first sprout. I just started another mango seed. Was curious how yours turned out! Wishing all the best.