Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooseling_gw

Toxic plants and pets

mooseling
14 years ago

I seem to like all the toxic plants, and of course, only the ones I have to bring in for the winter. And I have a dog, but that's not really a problem. I have a cage, which is meant to keep a dog enclosed, but I use it to keep her out and all my dangerous plants are in there. The problem is that someone is moving in with a cat, and although my cat can't (or won't) jump the fence, we have no idea about this other cat.

We've been trying to come up with a few ideas on what to do. I was thinking that maybe adding screen to essentially increase the height of the fence would work until a coworker reminded me that cats can and will climb on screen. So I thought perhaps the screen, but then use some wooden dowels to make projections from the top of the fence so the cat couldn't jump on the screen. That's really all we've come up with. Besides moving the entire setup to my room and adding a few grow lights, which is what we'll do if nothing else works.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to keep animals away from plants? I really don't want to attempt to just teach the cat with a spray bottle or something - I'm too used to stubborn animals and would rather not take the risk of the cat getting to the plants when no one's looking. I haven't met this cat, but she's apparently very active and likes jumping and chewing on plants. The plants I have that are kept in the cage are a Brugmansia, a Euphorbia, and a pile of cycads.

Would growing something for the cat to chew on work, perhaps? I just came up with a new idea. I could grow catnip and/or oat grass so the kitty will have something she'll like and perhaps leave the others alone. I know it'll probably depend on the cat herself, but has anyone had success doing that?

Comments (6)

• angeleyedcat
    14 years ago

hello :) I've had many many cats over the years, some like plants and eat them, some show no interest or seem to know which ones are not safe to eat. All of my plants that are questionably toxic at all are about 12 feet up in the air on shelves in upper windows. I use a ladder to water them. Actually? They look very nice up there and I only need to water once every 7-10 days. The cats can't reach them because there are absolutely NO lower shelves leading up to them to jump on or things in front of them that they can jump on to reach them. There is no way they can get to those plants. Cats can climb and most can climb very well, especially if they are active and curious, most cats are agile enough to be amazing. I've never had sprays (water, air, the smelly stuff, etc) keep them away reliably if I'm not there spraying. I've tried cat grass, catnip, etc. which was eaten but so were the other plants, the cat just didn't understand our conversation about the plant replacement idea... Toxic plants 100% out of reach by extreme height like I have or no toxic plants at all is the only truly safe solution I personally have been able to rely on. My non toxic plants are all over the house on window sills and shelves but none of my current cats eat plants at all.

In all honesty, IMHO, since this cat is coming in and known to eat plants, if you can't get the plants up high totally 100% out of reach, I would put the toxic plants in a room where the door could always stay shut entirely away from the new cat. You can buy a cheap shop light at a box store, the last one I got was less than $10 and works fine as is for most plants, especially if it's only for the winter. There are other types of lights available but they usually cost more but would work better for higher light plants. Lots of options there. As long as the door was ALWAYS shut it'd could be the safeset idea. Possibly a closet could be used.

If it's the type of cage that just has sides I can't see it working no matter how high you made the sides not only because of climbing but because it could be really easy to knock over (think playing toddlers, if it's not strongly anchored it will fall) An active cat could easily knock it over. A few projections also won't stop a cat. I personally would be afraid to try it with the new cat and the toxic plants you have.

This is just what's worked for me, good luck!

• mooseling
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shelving will definitely work for the cycads, especially the ones that aren't picky about the light. I'll have to stop by Lowe's again and see how much that will run. Will have to rearrange some furniture. And sine Euphorbia sleeps in the winter, he can sit up there too. And like the idiot I am, I forgot that brugs can be cut and go into dormancy during winter.

The cage is actually pretty sturdy. My dog is pretty active and jumpy and heavy and she couldn't knock it over when I was testing it to see if it would be good to keep her away from the plants. I got the projections idea from a cat shelter which uses them on a fence so the cats can go outdoors, although I can see how at a much lower height, it might just be making what looks like a ledge.

At Lowe's today, I saw some pet resistant screen, although I don't have any idea as to what makes it pet resistant, and if they really mean just dogs, like some things do. Also saw some acrylic sheeting, which I thought would work better than the screen, which could add 18 inches to the height, and I wouldn't think a cat could get over that so easily. I know cats can easily jump five feet, but I've never seen one do it where they would be dropping straight down on the other side. My cat won't even do two feet that way, and she likes jumping and going where she's not supposed to be.

I'm going to talk to the soon-to-be roommate and see what she likes the best. I'm thinking shelving will work best though.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    They make several types of repellant sprays. They don't work?? have never tried them with mammals but they DON"T work with birds IME. gary

• mooseling
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We might try spraying something, but I would not trust a spray alone. They're sometimes effective, but I've realized some animals just don't care enough or are just determined enough to get past it.

I recently found that my cat hates the smell of lemon cypress. I've only got one, but if this new cat doesn't like it either, I might be able to use that as well to help keep the cat away. Right now, we're looking at three to four lines of defense. Just to be safe.

• brit5467
    14 years ago

I had a cat who liked to use my planters as his litter box. So we're talking plants like rubber trees and dumb cane and the like. An old woman told me to use moth balls. They didn't hurt the plant but the cat hated the smell and stayed away. Can't help you with plants that hang OVER the edge of the pots. This only worked since the cat came upon the pot before the foliage.

I even watered the plants with the mothballs still on top of the dirt and it didn't affect them. Someone else may be totally against this, with regards to it not being good for the plants. But it worked for me.