Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Berkeley Botanical Gardens

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

I have included captions on these and hope you can see them, I love Picassa to manage my photos but the slideshow on the web album needs improvement ! This is only a slim fraction of the photos I took, and I tried to select those that made me think the most of my 'imaginary friends'.

Hope you enjoy

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Berkeley Botanical Garden

Comments (12)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh what fun!!!

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Kathy,these were so different from what we are used to seeing. I really enjoyed them. And you even thought of me. How nice. It's hard to believe that the dogwoods are now blooming there in a warmer climate than mine.
    Gteart job photographing. norma

• saucydog
    14 years ago

That was fun! You are really good with your camera!

That is an observation hive in the greenhouse. My neighbor has a smaller version and is letting me borrow it to bring to school....I'm slightly nervous about it.

Thanks for sharing!

Saucy

• deanneart
    14 years ago

How wonderful!!!!! Thanks for taking us on the tour with your terrific photographs. I just love everything about this garden. So very many unique and beautiful things.

Deanne

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Definitely fun. I didn't recognize much! It's a whole different world out there....

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I think I've only scratched the surface of the plant world. Thanks for the fabulous pictures Kathy.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Finally got around to checking out the Botanical Garden. Different in spades. Quite far from my ideal English garden dreams, but I guess that's what makes it so interesting. Photo #5 is artistic in it's composition. Just love the texture. The water in #7 is so clear!! It looks so natural. The photo of the Dogwoods also very nicely framed! They look like a Dove tree for some reason. Are the dogwoods there a different variety than ours here in the East? I didn't realize it was on the water, did you sit for awhile at that high point and enjoy the view? What an impact that Alstroemeria makes and I love the apricot shades. Much prettier than what you find at the supermarket. Another interesting photo of the cactus among the flowers. I never thought that conservatories had indoor bee hives, how neat! Thanks for taking us along, I'm not sure I will ever get there otherwise. :-)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PM, there are Dogwoods here that are native to our Redwood and mixed conifer forests, but the Dogwoods at the garden could have been from anywhere really, since the garden has native plants from all over the world, many of which are not typically seen in cultivation. The garden is not really on the water, it is in the hills above the university , with the city of Berkeley and Interstate 80 between it and the San Francisco Bay.

Thank you and everyone for the nice comments about my photos, I have very much been inspired by Deanne and Marie to improve -it helps to have a really nice camera too, lol !

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

So much for my powers of observation. I can't believe I thought the Botanical Gardens were that large! lol

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Terrific fantasy world, Kathy -- your photos are wonderful -- and I recognized almost nothing -- as Michelle said, I think Im ignorant of too many items in the plant world! Very cool stuff you saw.

-cindy

• denisez10
    14 years ago

What a great field trip, and is that a spiral aloe in bloom?! Beautiful photos.

• chelone
    14 years ago

Fantasy plants from FanatasyLand; like Woody there wasn't much I recognized. I love the viewable bee hive and the shot of the cactus was just mind blowing for me (here in the New England version of the Panamanian rainforest).