Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjenne_gw

Phaleonopsis doing very strange things...Help!!!!

kjenne
15 years ago

My boyfriend bought me a beautiful phaleonopsis orchid for valentine's day, and it has done really well until recently. The blooms all fell off so I cut the spike back to the node, and it was fine. Then the leaves started turning yellow and falling off. I thought that the plant was dying, until the spike started producing more flowers! Now there are about 8 inches of new growth with four or five fat buds on the end to the spike, but only one very soft, leathery leaf that doesn't look very good... I would really rather not kill this flower since it means a lot to me, what does it need? I water it, but the bark mix seems very dry no matter how much water I add, so it may just be too dry? Do I need a different type of potting mix???

Comments (5)

• arthurm
    15 years ago

You are.... perhaps watering it too much....perhaps giving it not enough light.

If you go up to the search box and enter Phalaenopsis you will find many past threads on this subject. Also seek out complete cultivation notes about Phalaenopsis via google, especially those that relate to the climate similar to where you live.

You might have to cut the flowering spike off at the base so the plant can put energy into growing new leaves.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I grow all my orchids in bark, and even when the surface bark looks and feels dry, the middle by the roots can still be quite damp. To get a feel for when I need to water, I've come to know how heavy the pot should be when it's dry and I pick it up, and if it's any heavier, it still doesn't require a watering.

A good way to gauge moisture in the center of the medium is to use a bamboo skewer, available at the grocery store... insert it, pointed end, to the center of the medium, working it gently through the bark. Leave it there... and take it out every couple of days and press it to your cheek... if it feels cool and damp, the orchid does not need water... if it feels completely dry, time to water!

Proper watering is so important... more plants are killed by improper watering, than by any other one thing.

You may want to unpot your Phal and inspect the roots... if they look healthy, repot. If not... well, you can try to save it by carefully removing any rotting roots, and following the information in the posts here by doing a search on saving orchids with rotting roots.

Perhaps some of the experts here can guide you through the process, if that happens to be the problem.

I only mention all this because those are exactly the symptoms my first, and only, Phal exhibited right before it keeled over and died. I later found that the top layer of bark had hidden medium that looked like regular potting soil, and I bought the thing at the local garden center.

Now, I carefully check roots before buying. Good Luck!

• mehitabel
    15 years ago

Jodik has a good point. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a new plant with fresh new bark on top and muck underneath. All sorts of vendors from top vendors to Home Depot.

I think the vendor tries to pretty the plant up with fresh new bark, especially in gift-seasons like Val Day, but it's misleading at watering time, and very easy to overwater these, thinking the bark is dry.

• howard_a
    15 years ago

No "perhaps" about it Arthur, kjenne's phal definitely was getting too little light. The situation has improved somewhat because of the increase in summer light but oh, so soon again the darkness comes. This time the phal does not have the reserves of energy put into it by the greenhouse where it was raised. The situation with the watering will be straigtened out when the situation with the light is made right.

H

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Howard, i was hedging my bets.

The instructions you get with Phals here say no sun. That is to stop silly people putting them outside into a sometimes high UV, low humidity environment death zone. Things burn here even in midwinter.

But my experience says that a little gentle morning or late afternoon sun or midday filtered sun through a window makes a big difference.