Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtskiers

Marie's Garden through my Lens and other ramblings

Sue W (CT zone 6a)
17 years ago

Unfortunately I get a little lazy when Deanne is around and has her camera so I only took pictures at Marie's...lol. However the entire weekend was a blast starting with my arrival at Mary's on Friday morning. As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of airline travel. It's been years since I've been on a flight that has been on time and this weekend was no exception. On the way out my flight was delayed for an hour (the whole flight is only a little over an hour) because of a "maintenance" issue. From what I could gather the issue was a broken seat and the remedy was to tape a piece of paper on it that read "Do Not Use". The procedure must be top secret because they made all the passengers get off the plane and wait in the terminal while the repairs were made. Good freakin' grief!

On Friday, Mary, Deanne and I went out gallavanting. We enjoyed a scrumptious lunch at a restaurant with a Spanish flair. Mary and I had a shrimp risotto with aparagus and all sorts of other yummies. Deanne must of known there would be plenty offood to come and had a salad. After that we hung out at Starbucks then hit the Japanese Maple nursery where I finally trapped one of those elusive Hydrangea quercifolia 'Little Honey'. After dropping Deanne off at her hotel Mary and I made it back to her house just in time for a quick change and a drive to the evening's events in Rochester. Compliments of Mary's DH (who was also a speaker), we all attended a lecture and gallery exhibit at the George Eastman house for a well known photographer, Pete Turner. If you'd like to see some of his pictures, I've included a link to his website below. Following the lecture, we sipped wine and snacked on a variety of tasty tidbits then danced off to dinner at a Chinese place.

On Saturday morning it was off to Marie's, first stop Woody's for lunch where we were joined by Marie and DH. I think it was about a two and a half hour drive from Mary's to Woody's, more for us because we missed an exit. Oh well, time flies when you're having fun. At least there was no border backup. We really lucked out on that because it looked like hours coming from the other direction. Woody's garden is just as charming in person as it is in her pictures. It is just so much fun to visit gardens that you've seen from so many angles but never as a whole. After the grand tour we were treated to the most delicious lunch of cheeses, fruits, shrimp cocktail, quiche....and this incredible flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Woody and her DH are accompished cooks and gracious hosts. The afternoon flew by and it was time to make our way to Marie's.

You saw the pics of the incredible dinner Marie made for us on Saturday night-paella, salad, and a chocolate hazelnut torte. Idyllers aren't just fantastic gardeners, but fantastic cooks to boot. Eating in moderation be damned, I was stuffed but ate every bite. Marie basically turned her charming farmhouse into a bed and breakfast. My room was Marie's study. Something tells me that's where the cats usually hang out.

This little girl was lots of fun. Is this Vita, Marie?

{{gwi:181705}}

This one thought she was going home with me.

{{gwi:181707}}

This guy was shy but I managed to get a fleeting shot.

{{gwi:181709}}

I've forgotten how much fun cats can be. Tom is deathly allergic so we can't have them here.

Anyhoo, on Sunday morning the light was perfect for pictures and the gardens were cloaked in a beautiful morning mist. Every view is picturesque unlike at my house where you have to angle every shot to keep out the neighbor's houses, cars, trash cans, kids toys, etc, etc.

I love this barn. You can't take a bad picture of it.

{{gwi:181711}}

Here's the view from the other direction with Marie's latest island bed in the forground.

{{gwi:181714}}

Spiderwebs were everywhere. It must be a banner year for arachnids. Arachniphobiacs beware.

{{gwi:181716}}

The shade garden side of the house where the Hellebore bed bursts into bloom come spring.

{{gwi:181718}}

Another current year project, the vegetable garden. We feasted from that for dinner Sunday night.

{{gwi:181719}}

A wide angle front view. We enjoyed breakfast on that porch on Sunday morning.

{{gwi:181720}}

Oh look, Marie has a pot ghetto and what a surprise, it's filled with Clematis.

{{gwi:181721}}

My favorite-the shade border. Marie has it chock filled of texture of foliage contrast and color. The picture doesn't do it justice.

{{gwi:181722}}

OK, that's enough from me. Deanne has more including the Sunday travelogue. I'm late for bed-don't want to chance turning into a pumpkin with Halloween so close.

Enjoy!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Photography of Pete Turner

Comments (8)

• deanneart
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue, thanks for posting these. All are beautiful and what fun to see your pics from the same day and almost the same time. You saw things to frame a bit different than I did and that was really fun to see. I think sometime we need to have all the Idyllers present at some function or other and have everyone take photogaphs so we can all see everyone's 'view'. I also loved the narrative. I still can't believe we did all that driving in just three days!

I really love your shots of the shade and vegetable gardens. It was a bit too dark to photo down on the flats when I was outside so I never was able to get a photograph of what was my favorite garden too.

I'm tickled you got the pics of the kitties. For some reason I never got around to snapping photos of the furbies. I had a good laugh again when I saw Minou in your bag. She kept climbing into our suitcases as well.

OK I guess I've got to get outside and get things watered so I can get off to work. I do not know how the heck you keep up with all you do with a full time job. I can hardly get home and get dinner on the table let alone take care of the gardens and exercise. Teaching a class for eight hours wipes me out.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

OOPS! That's not Vita, that's me! Vita's the one who tried to go home in your bag with you.
    Minou

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

LOL Sue...love all the kitty pics! I can tell you really got a kick out of them. :-) Well, who wouldn't?...what personalities. That Vita popping out of your bag is a riot.... What a gorgeous piece of property Bug...what wonderful views to wake up to! :-) Everything is gorgeous, but that pic of the bridge Sue...that's calendar quality. How I would love to be crossing that bridge right now! I also *love* the spider web pic on the porch. We have so many wonderful photographers here...I'm always humbled and in awe. Are those cedar trees Marie, in pic 9? Ever since visting Washington I have become enamored with Cedars. In the next house I will definitely plant a few and skip the crabapples! :-)

I hope someday soon I will get to see your lovely gardens in person, Bug! Thanks again Sue for sharing!

Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Wow! Sue, those are wonderful pics. They look like what my eyes would chose. :-)
    I really like the spiderweb. I have taken several around our place. I need to focus on an album just of them.
    So fuuny about the kitty that loves to hide in luggage. Maybe she is wanting to travel...like me!
    I LOVE LOVE Marie's place. My style of living, and she has worked wonders in landscaping and maintaining it.

Marian

• david_5311
    17 years ago

Hi folks! I have not been around for awhile so today is the first day visiting these pages in a long while. What a treat to have had a mini-IU at Mary's and Marie's gardens. Both are beautiful! I have seen Marie's though much later in the season, after most garden color was past. I can certainly see progress in expanding beds and plant palette even since I was there a few years ago.

Marie, I wonder what the tall goldenrod is that Sue has picture of in the new island bed. Is that Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks'? Looks like the right height, but the flowering stems are more branched and horizontal, and I wonder if it is another species? I have come to love goldenrods and I am going to plant some in big masses in my new front garden.

Hope you all are well and enjoying the fall gardening season.

David

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for all the long views of Marie's wonderful farm. I absolutely love it all. The barn, house and fence are just so quaint and the gardens are fabulous.

Michelle

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

I love seeing Marie's garden in the morning light and through the different perspective of Sue's eyes. How nice that you could all share a good time together. Norma

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

I enjoyed that immensely. Nothing like Marie's garden to bring you back to the country with all it's peace and beauty. Thanks for posting these pics Sue.

Yeona