Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcrd

New Here

Just wanted to say hello. I am new here. Grow mostly Austins in my teeny tiny backyard. I love the Austins. Something about very double roses sends my heart pitter patter! I use organics and mostly grow own root roses. I have Brother Cadfael, Mary Webb, Peach Blossom, Jude the Obscure, Emily, Evelyn and a few other mini roses that I got from Sequoia nursery before it went out of business. I have resisted and resisted for many many years buying new roses and just went nuts and bought several for my front yard. I have mixed borders in the front with day lilies, iris, salvia, lavendar, etc. My colors are blue, white and pink (cool colors for my hot, hot summer). I just ordered Pretty Jessica, Munstead Wood and Lady of Alexandra (think that was the name). I will dig out some of my day lillies that turned out to be more rust/red than pink toned. They need to be divided anyway.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello and look forward to posting pictures if I can figure it out.

Comments (18)

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Hello. Looking forward to your photos. If you have a photo program all you have to do is click on browse. It will come up and you open a file and then a photo. It won't show in your post until you preview message.
    If you love Austins and old fashioned blooms you should check out the Antique Rose Forum as well.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Mendocino rose. Here is a picture of my Ambridge Rose. Ignore the date of the picture. It was taken last year. I don't know how to change the date on my camera.

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Welcome! Love your forum name, too cute!! I know you will enjoy the information you will gain from following the Rose Forum and the Antique Rose Forum. Thanks for sharing Evelyn....she is a beauty. Lesley

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Love your user name, Mustbnuts. It could easily be the Jones or Smith of the rose forums. Welcome! I grow daylilies, too, with the roses. They're so showy that I figure they help to keep my roses humble and less like prima donnas. Competition is a good thing, plus they give thrill me. It sounds like your roses must be mature plants, so photos would definitely be wonderful! See you on the Antique Roses Forum.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Welcome to the rose form. Got a few "flame thrower's" around but you'll learn to ignore them. I've been around for a few (?) years and enjoy most of this form. You can get some good advice and some not so good advice. Pay attention to who is saying what and where they live. You'll love your Austins.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Please do also post on the Antique forum - Austins are actually in the topic line for that. Welcome!

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Hello, how great to have you join us! I'm mostly on the antique side of the forum because I have lots of the old roses but I also really like some of the Austins. My garden is a "hot spot" so not all of them do well. Pretty picture of Ambridge Rose; mine unfortunately was a rust bucket from day one. Are you on the west or east coast? My garden also has cool colors with similar companion plants.

I hope when spring arrives we'll get to see pictures of your whole garden; I'm sure it must be lovely.

Ingrid

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Welcome, and I love your name too! I have learned so much from some very knowledgeable people. I don't have Amberidge Rose, but have Abraham Darby, Wife of Bath, Jude the Obscure, and Graham Thomas which are very healthy. My Golden Celebration is a bugaboo, and if not better this year may SP, although LOVE the flowers.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Welcome to the nut house, mustbnuts, lol! You'll fit right in!

Lovely picture of a real beauty and I look forward to seeing many more!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you all for the warm welcome! I am on the west coast and my garden gets very warm in the summer (90--100 degree plus days for months at a time) and pretty cool in the winter (highs in the 40--50's and lows in the 20--30 degree range).

I haven't figured out how to post more than one picture at a time. Hopefully, I will learn to do that.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Hello and welcome. Ambridge is one of my best. Glad you like it too.

• lagomorphmom
    11 years ago

Must.B.Nuts: you are in the right place!!!

Another Austin that you might like that is very heat tolerant is Carding Mill. A little more apricot, but would still be very pretty with your color scheme.

And yes, we do like to offer opinion (see above), just make sure to take advice from those in your zone when it comes to resistance and cultivation.

Welcome aboard!
    Kerin

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Nice photo of Ambridge.

• romogen
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@mustbnuts Hello there, I tried sending you a private message but you have disabled that option. Hopefully you will see this comment. Just checking in regarding EMILY, to see if you decided to keep it? Otherwise, please keep me in mind for cuttings come springtime for budding. Thanks!!!

• witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

We're all mad here. lol Welcome. I find more help here than I ever got googling up articles. (some of which I think couldn't have been authored by anyone that ever actually grew a rose)

• witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

Kali There are 2 things that I can thank for not pulling my hair out, and giving up. The Paul Zimmerman videos (I <3 that man, and he's absolutely right about needing explosives to dig a hole in SC lol), and this forum. I've probably saved a thousand dollars just by seeing real photos, comments, and priceless advice from people.

• kali_deere
    6 years ago

I’ll have to look up Paul zimmerman!! Thanks for the tip :)