Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegirl_gw

Osiria

bluegirl_gw
11 years ago

What a beautiful rose--in pictures. How does it do? It's listed as very fragrant, too. But I don't see it commented on a lot--hothouse baby?

Comments (7)

• kstrong
    11 years ago

I had it, but it died on me after one year. I had a rampant botrytus outbreak that killed dozens of roses, so it was not a particular weakness in this variety, I don't think. I was very pleased with it when I had it -- one of the best red with white reverses, in my opinion. Much nicer than Love, Snowfire, etc.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    11 years ago

I have it & really like the flower color & form. I got a really nice big, grafted on Multiflora, bush 4 years ago & it did well the 1st year. But each year since it has come back less vigorous & thus producing less flowers. I plan on digging it up this spring & putting it in a pot with some good potting soil to see what happens...if it doesn't revive, its gone this fall. Don't know if it has a problem with my plant specifically or if it doesn't like my northern z4 area or is the nature of this cultivar. Anyone else have experience with Osiria?

• bluegirl_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Huh, Camp says it's weak & Malcolm states it's a green-house raised florist rose (Sorry, should have searched first). But I'd love to hear if anyone has had it do okay in the garden

Bi-colors always grab my eye--Flaming Peace, Love--even better if they're fragrant. I'm trying Traviata this year & have a new Flaming Peace. Tried Victoriana a couple of times but couldn't keep it. It was a very pretty bricky color with an ashy reverse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osiria posts

This post was edited by bluegirl on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:35

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Bluegirl...

Yes, it is a florist rose, but that means it may do well in your heat because florist roses are bred for hothouse conditions.

KStrong ........

Please don't laugh, but you can control a botrytus outbreak with cinnamon. I have a friend that uses it in her greenhouse and garden regularly to control fungus and always uses it for her seedlings. It's a practice handed down from her grandmother.

I used a cinnamon paste when I did my snow-tip pruning in early winter to avoid rain-borne pathogens on the pruning cuts and, so far, I have not seen any of the usual symptoms of canker where I pruned. Of course, it may be too early to tell in that we are having a colder winter than usual.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

I have one of those. It can be quite pretty. It needs spraying like everyone else in the rose beds. It does reasonably well for me. I would like it to bloom a little more than it does. Below is a picture of what it can look like.

{{gwi:214103}}

I hope this will help you out a bit.

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Mine looks like bustopher's ...no fragrance and very stingy....but beautiful!

• bluegirl_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooooo, that is so pretty! the kind of photo that makes me want to try a possibly marginal rose.

Way back, Chamblees always used to have a few florist-types each spring. Some did very well as yard plants. Lady Diana is one I recall--elegant long-stemmed big light pink flowers with a mild scent. Thanks for the info & photo :)