Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideroses

heat-tolerant container roses?

sunnysideroses
10 years ago

I live in Redding, CA and would like to start some hybrid teas in containers on my deck. I have part shade, but a good chunk of the deck gets full day sun...and full day sun in summer here, well, it can be a little brutal. It's a very Mediterranean climate, mild and dry, but summers always get up to 115 degrees for a few weeks. I know this is the least ideal situation for hybrid teas, and I've been trying to plant other things, but my heart is still set on roses...
I figure it may be inevitable that I'll have to bring pots over to the shade side for part of the summer, but I was hoping someone might have a success story that could help me out before I choose varieties.
(I particularly love yellow, orange, and dark pink roses. I would love to get a Chrysler Imperial or a Tahitian Sunset if anyone knows that they will do well in heat.)
Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can certainly empathize with your situation. Finding a large flowered rose that's suitable for containers in a hot climate is a challenge. We don't have weeks of 115 degree temperatures here, but we certainly have weeks where the temps can be well over 100-105. July and August are almost always brutal here.....As much as I love Chrysler Imperial, it's heat tolerance stops above 95. Pretty good, but not for your situation. There is another red rose suitable for a container that has stood the test of time and temperature for me. A Harkness bred HT named Lady Mitchell (mine are from Heirloom). Stays a nice compact shape and seems always to have multiple slow to open/fade blooms on it. For a decorative container rose with large blooms it's just about perfect in my book......Maryl
    {{gwi:223272}}

• sunnysideroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the advice! Very helpful :)

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

I live up the mountain from you in Weaverville and most of my roses grow in full sun all day, but I don't grow them in containers because of all of the reasons Kim mentioned above.

I'd probably go for a larger pot than a 10 gallon container because you can line the pot with bubble wrap that will add an extra layer of insulation against the heat. Keep in mind, you will have to re-pot these plants every few years.

Also, my night temps cool off during the night allowing the plants to pull up moisture from the root zone and rehydrate the top growth. That's a major advantage.

Even planted in the ground, the transpiration rate ... loss of moisture through the foliage ... will be higher than the plant can pull up moisture from the roots to the top growth and your roses will look like they are wilting and are water stressed, even when they are well watered. You have the additional problem of not allowing the soil in the container to be too wet in that it can cause root rot. Tricky.

Also, I have a shorter growing season than you do down in Redding. When I go down the mountain to do my monthly shopping, the roses are in bloom a full month before mine have started.

Two of the HTs I am growing that stand up to the heat the best are 'Tropicana' and 'Tournament of Roses'. Both have thick petal substance and dense foliage. I've found those two plant characteristics are the best indicators of heat tolerance in our climate. BUT, it's not always true. Last year I planted 'Firefighter', which has those characteristics, but the blooms are fried within a day.

For a yellow, although I am not currently growing it, you might want to try 'St. Patrick'. I plan to add that rose to my garden when I can find one budded. 'François Rabelais' is the only red that really handles the heat in my garden and is classified as a floribunda.

The floribunda 'Fabulous' holds up to the heat and keeps on blooming. In my garden, it can grow as tall as any of the HTs.

The modern moss rose 'Kim Rupert' is another rose that handles the heat very well. No fried blooms.

I do grow several roses that only look great during the spring and fall during the cooler temps. For those, I cut the blooms just beyond the bud stage and bring them into the house during the periods of very high temps. There are just some roses I can't give up just because of the heat ... lol.

I think you can find the best quality roses in Redding at Gold Leaf Nursery. Their budded roses are the best I have seen in twenty years. They are not carrying anything in this year's inventory that I really want for my garden, but they do have some good roses.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

I forgot ....

Kippy-the-Hippy, in Socal, posted that OSH was carrying Weeks roses in 3 gal paper pots.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg121725465874.html

I haven't checked Redding's Orchard Supply to see what roses they have this year, but I think starting with a 3 gal plant instead of a band, gives you a better chance of getting the rose established before the heat hits.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

Just wanted to add my two cents. I live near Sacramento--pretty darned hot! I prefer floribundas but do have some HTs in pots. I ran out of ground a long time ago and have quite a few in pots. If it is a truly special rose, I do find a ground spot by removing a non-performer.

Always plastic pots or maybe foam, I like the big square ones but the round ones work too. I use redwood bark mulch in the pots, an absolute must for me. It really helps. My roses are in full sun. You must religiously water them each day in the hot weather. So my occasional dog sitter must and is willing to water my pots along with taking my dog out twice a day!

Some weaker roses have done better in pots than in the ground for me. Have fun with your potted roses!

• teakettle2
    10 years ago

I live in Selma (near Fresno, CA). Gets very hot here. I have roses growing in pots on my deck. Two big pots with Bolero (white romantica) rose - standard form. Great fragrance. Blooms all summer.
    I like the standard form because when I sit in my chair on the deck, the roses are above my head and the fragrance is wonderful. Also, it is easier to arrange the furniture around the standard roses. I underplant them with a hardy geranium.

I have found Fame! to be a very heat tolerant HT, Its cerise, color doesn't fade and blooms all summer (no fragrance).
    Hope this helps.