Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Lantana Question

brit5467
11 years ago

I have three 4" pots of the regular yellow lantana left over from last year. Never got them in the ground. They've been cut back (think I did that earlier this year when one still had some green on it but don't remember when for sure -- sorry).

Am wondering if they DID survive and were going to bud this year, would they be showing any green by now in my zone 7b?

I'm near the beach (coast of VA) so we rarely get real hard freezes. BUT we've had some really strange weather (unseasonably warm, then flurries, warm again, freezing, etc) so I'm confused...as are my plants....LOL.

Most everything else is already showing life. Daylilies have nearly a foot growth, Walker's Low Catmint is beginning to come in, Russian sage just starting to bud, as is my Rose of Sharon tree, just to name a few.

In the past, I've not had much luck with Lantana wintering over, even when in the ground so I'm ready to trash them. But hate to do so IF -- by some luck -- they still have life in them. I will not CONSCIOUSLY kill a plant...LOL.

I know the simple solution would be just keep watering and watch them. And I will, if it's worth it. But if the answer is -- "NOPE, you'd see something by now" -- well then, you've saved me the hassle. I'm partially disabled so if I can cut out an unnecessary job then all the better....(smile).

As I sit here typing, I just remembered my 'garden guru' friend telling me last year to scratch the 'trunk' of some abandonded dead looking potted shrubbery (that I'd found) and look for 'green'. Would this apply to Lantana too?

THANKS !!
Bonnie

Comments (8)