Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_owens9081478

Is Ebb Tide that wonderful?

Tammy Owens
11 years ago

I can't believe that Ebb tide would be that great to warrant a price so high...I mean really people?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebb tide Bids

Comments (12)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! Someone is going to get fleesed and someone is going to be laughing themself silly. What a shame. I don't know weather to laugh or get mad.I wish there was some way people could be warned about this garbage before they loose so much money.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I grew Ebb Tide and no way was it that color for me. Most of the people I've heard from who report it being even close to "purple" live on the west coast. God bless the person who ends up with this rose. I hope it does well for them at that price......Maryl

• barbarag_happy
    11 years ago

I have an awkward, runty plant of Ebb Tide-- anything else would have been SP'd long ago.
    But that COLOR which shows up oh so briefly spring and fall has suckered me into keeping it.
    I think I paid $12.95 for mine. About right.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Mine really is that purple, (morning sun, afternoon shade) but what a shame for the winner. A simple internet search would bring up a better price.

"Shop around" is so true in this instance as in most others!

• buford
    11 years ago

I have mine in part shade and it does bloom that color regularly. But I still wouldn't pay $200 for it, LOL.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

At first I was aghast at the price, but on second glance I saw the $59.99 price was for three Ebb Tide roses, so they were actually about $20 per rose, which is about the going rate at a good nursery around here--maybe a dollar or two high. Then I saw the second seller's offering at $26.99, and those look like small, illegally grown plants from cuttings. That is pretty bad. I have three Ebb Tide, one Twilight Zone, and two of a rose called Ascot. While I have pretty good luck with the dark purple color until the end of June, in the hottest months ET fades badly to various shades of magenta. I assume Twilight Zone will do the same because it's an offspring of ET. But it may be an improvement over ET. Time will tell. ET does get better as time goes on, but it takes three or four years to reach the rose's peak. I keep tooting my horn over Ascot, but this rose is fantastic. It doesn't fade, is has a better growth habit than ET, and flowers like crazy, producing petal packed old fashioned looking blooms that last, all in just a year. Only problem? Its color is not quite as dark as ET's, but it doesn't have the neon color qualities of, say, Big Purple or ET when it has faded to magenta. Ascot is a lovely muted color. OK, I'll stop already about Ascot--heheh. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Whoops! How did I miss the auction that had ended??? That is one whopping price...but the rose is three years old, so says the seller. Maybe that's what caught the eyes of the bidders. Diane

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I paid under $30 for my ebb tide in a 5g pot and 3+ feet across. I think I should go buy and other and put it on eBay! lol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Kippy, I was thinking along those lines a few minutes ago, too. Let's see: dig up three Ebb Tides and sell for $202 each for a total of $606--not bad. That's a lot of new roses for me. What am I waiting for? Diane

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

I can't believe someone would pay that much for a rose, especially one that is listed every week. Methinks the winner, and maybe the runner up are newbies to roses and didn't know better. Shiesh.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

I think it's time to start selling roses on Ebay!

• Molineux
    11 years ago

I have found when it comes to the mauve color class rosarians are rarely rational. For example, I'm currently obsessing over BLUE FOR YOU and totally aggravated because it isn't widely offered in the States. Somebody saw the imperial purple color in the picture and simply lost their senses. Reminds me of when I was child and convinced my mother to purchase my first rose. I saw a blue rose in a plant catalog called STERLING SILVER...