Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmgonzo

I need help finding a misting timer

mmmgonzo
15 years ago

Hi all :)

I posted on the prop. forum, no answers so far, so I am going to ask some of my favorite people for help :)

If anyone has any information where to order a timer for a misting/cuttings set up could you forward that to me or post it please? Oregon doesn't seem to be a popular place for these sort of timers (suprise!- he he)

If anyone can tell me what settings they use/how long you mist and how many times an hour that would be great too :)

I am scouting the internet but really have no idea what features I am looking for :)

thanks all, sooooooooooo happy the roses are blooming !!!

Marleah

Comments (5)

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Have you tried dripworksusa . com? I ordered a misting system for my small greenhouse and am expecting it to arrive on the 30th!!!! But, I did not order a timer because of the type of pump I use to draw the water from my pond...

Robert

• patriciae_gw
    15 years ago

It depends on how much misting you need-a professional set-up is expensive but I have used a Melnor timer with built in misting cycle 60 sec every ten min. I got it from the Home center(Lowes or Home Depot carry Melnor around here) you can find them on line I am sure. I used it from when the sun hit my misting bed till it cooled off in the evening. I now have a fancier system-from charlysgreenhouse.com but got it from them as they are nearby and I can go to their August sale(all the returns and so on) They do carry all the stuff though and all set up for you if you can pay. Roberts misting kit from Dripworks plus a Melnor timer would work for you as well and cheaper for sure.

patricia

• kaye
    15 years ago

We used the Melnor timer from Lowe's for several years. The biggest problem we had with it was having to replace the batteries fairly often which meant re-programming the timer each time. On a hot day, if it went down, the cuttings suffered. Also, if the outside temperature would get over 85, it quit working, but that was after several years as it got old. We ended up getting a DIG unit from Dripworks that is hardwired into the electricity and has a battery back-up. It's set to run for 2 minutes every 15 minutes. The Melnor, as I recall, had limited capabillity for setting timing and used a lot more water.

• patriciae_gw
    15 years ago

Kaye, you are so right-the Melnors( and there are many timers in their line) are more of a get you in the door set-up ..they dont last forever(especially if you forget to bring them in when it freezes) though I never replaced the battery more than once a year. The amount of water depends on the size of your misting emiter. I use a brass emiter that uses very little water but requires high pressure tubing. I never had problems with heat but then we dont have as much as you probably have.

patricia

• berndoodle
    15 years ago

Hi, Marleah,
    Since you're in Oregon, I assume you don't have or need an irrigation timer or drip irrigation? I ask because a standard drip irrigation timer for hard-wired irrigation valves is just fine to use as a timer for "misting" cuttings here on the NorCal coast. My timer has 3 programs for each valve and 2 or 3 start times/cycles for each program (I can't remember all the details of that clock). I set up the timer so that it sprayed cuttings with a micro-sprayer at 10am, 11am, 12PM, 1PM, 2PM and 3PM. I found I didn't need mist every 10 minutes and I didn't have to use a mist emitter. I used a specialized Israeli-made micro-sprayer that produces a perfect globe of spray (no dry spots). Everything in that little greenhouse (it was constructed of heavy clear plastic sheeting over white pipe) rooted like crazy. In fact, I left one end open for improved ventilation. It got nice and hot but didn't fry the cuttings.

Depending on the scale of your propagation, I know a non-misting propagation alternative for you. Read about Jill Perry and Mel Hulse's Rubbermaid Terrarium set-up. You'll notice that Mel grew his cuttings in 3 inches of potting soil in a closed Rubbermaid box. The brand is important because sunlight degrades these plastics. Rubbermaid lasts longer than Sterlite.

I propagate in Rubbermaid boxes in a slightly different way: I put my cuttings in small pots of potting soil, using only Supersoil. The pots are either bands, 4 inch pots or the slightly larger 4 x 6 pots (taller that 4 inches, obviously). Depending on the heat and humidity, I do one of two thing. I place the pots inside the Rubbermaid right side up, with the top on. If I overwater, I can pour out the excess. Or I place the pots on the ground under an arbor where they get filtered light and turn the Rubbermaid upside down over them, without the top. My method requires periodic watering, but it also provides better drainage. In summer, with softwood, cuttings took about 4 to 6 weeks. Softwood cuttings are labor intensive but very satisfying. The very small plants produced take a lot of irrigation and care after they root: grow out takes a lot of time, space and irrigation. Three boxes is about all I can handle at a time. One additional benefit of the Rubbermaid issue is that it gives young plants a very controlled environment after rooting but before they really take off.

Softwood cuttings in the terrarium (with the top off). Cuttings aren't beautiful, don't worry how they look:
    {{gwi:281667}}

After rooting, newly potted cuttings in the terrarium (with the top off) are provided moisture control while they adjust:
    {{gwi:281668}}

HTH,
    Cass

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting roses in a terrarium