Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonny46

Two-fold question: Help in Identifying Insect Plus Rose!

bonny46
13 years ago

Hello, everyone! I'm pretty new to this forum. I've been lurking (I guess that's what it's called) for about a year and have just started to post. Here's my first time posting pictures and asking for advice from all of you experts! Let me thank you in advance for all the great info I've picked up from this site so far.

I've never had thrips before (just had to deal with the Japanese Beetles), but after some research, I think that's what I now have on some of my roses. I'd like to confirm the thrips, plus id a couple of other insects (at least find out if they are harmless). Bear with me, but I'd also like to identify a mismarked rose that I got last year from Sam's Club (was supposed to be "Heirloom" - a mauve rose - and it bloomed white!). I'm putting the two questions together since the white mystery rose has the most thrip damage. Here goes:

This is my Fourth of July rose with some kind of winged insect plus little dark bugs. Is the winged insect the adult thrip and the dark things the larvae? Or are they unrelated?

{{gwi:295914}}
Here's what I assume is thrip poop on the leaves:

{{gwi:295915}}
Here's my Westerland with some kind of cool leggy bug with the dark bugs (which, again, I assume are thrips):

{{gwi:295916}}

Here's my mismarked white mystery rose showing thrip damage. Unfortunately I pruned off the really horribly damaged bloom that had been completely destroyed and had poop all over the petals as well.

{{gwi:295917}}

Here's a bud of the mystery rose:

{{gwi:295918}}

Here's the whole young bush. It barely survived the winter. Now it appears to me to be a climbing rose, and if so, I'm going to have to move it (I should probably move it anyway because it doesn't have enough room where it is now).

{{gwi:295919}}

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Comments (7)

• Jeannie Cochell
    13 years ago

Thrips? In my neck of the woods you don't see thrips with the naked eye. The damage on the white rose could be thrips damage, though. The top photo has what looks like a bee.

I don't grow many white roses so won't try to guess on the variety.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

The top photo is a harmless hoverfly, disguised as a bee. You will not, as moroseaz said, likely see thrips at all. They are smaller than the poop you are seeing, lol! Thrips have a piercing-sucking mouthpart.

Poop means a chewing insect, like sawfly larvae or Japanese beetles or the like, but that doesn't mean you don't also have thrips.

I can't help you with the bug on your Westerland, but if I had to guess I would say pollinator rather than pest. but I have been known to be wrong once or twice. ;o)

• bonny46
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Moroseaz, thanks for the thrips info. Didn't realize they were so small. Greenhaven, glad to know I don't have to worry about the other two bugs. I've been observing them more, and they both appear to be just the pollinating type. I've sprayed with an organic spray, and now I don't see anymore of that poop stuff on the leaves, so apparently that took care of whatever was eating my petals.

Anyone have any idea of the identity of the white rose? I forgot to mention that there is zero fragrance. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the fully opened rose, but it's quite large (maybe three inches across) and beautiful (when not chewed up) when open. Is there such a thing as a HT climber?

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Yes, there are many climbing HT, which are sports (mutations) of the bush form. Generally they do not make very good climbers. It's too soon to say whether this rose is a climber.

Your thrips damage may subside later. Most of us just ignore them, as they are very hard to control in an environmentally responsible fashion. Insecticide in open flowers kills pollinators.

• york_rose
    13 years ago

The only dark things I see in the first picture are old anthers, and yes, that's an adult hover fly feeding on the pollen.

Actually in your first white rose picture I can see four thrips (maybe five). Using the center of the blossom as your reference point - at about 9:30 on the edge of the petal, do you see that very pale brown thin, short line?

That's a thrips (singular also ends in an "s").

There are three more at about 7:30, 6:00, & 5:30.

I'd have to do a slide mount to be sure, but based upon their color (& assuming you live somewhere in the northern half of the USA) I'm going to guess that they're probably Thrips tabaci (aka "onion thrips").

• bonny46
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, York Rose, for the detailed response! Yes, I do see the dark lines at the locations you mentioned. I googled "thrips tabaci," and that does seem to be what I have.

As Michaelg said, there doesn't seem to be much to do to combat the thrips. It's frustrating to have beautiful blooms ruined. If the white rose is prone to thrips damage, maybe I won't keep her. I'll have to wait and see.

• york_rose
    13 years ago

I've never actually been certain whether thrips truly prefer pale colored roses, or whether it's simply that their feeding damage is much more obvious on such roses (as it understandably would be), but certainly among rose enthusiasts it's widely accepted that thrips seem to prefer feeding upon the pale roses.

If I recall correctly (not certain of that) in commercial flower growing greenhouses when they want to check for the presence of thrips the growers will set out yellow cardboard rectangles coated in a sticky substance. That way they can track over time how many thrips get stuck to the rectangle, and make an estimate of how heavy the greenhouse's thrips infestation is.

If the grower is practicing "integrated pest management" that sort of information is important, because the grower will only apply pesticide once the infestation in the greenhouse is heavy enough to economically justify the application.