Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mghamilton_gw

David Austen and RUST!

mghamilton
15 years ago

Last year I planted five DA. Roses - Golden Cel. Charles Renne, and William Shakesphere are doing good to GREAT.

The Ambridge Rose is looking weak with some die back on a few weak canes, and the Ab. Darby is scraggly and covered in rust - and looking even worse.

I doubt Ab. Darby is worth the work it requires, and perhaps I ought to replace the AmRose.

And recommendations for substitutes that are similiar but more hardy AND rust resistent?

Comments (7)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Abraham Darby was fairly rust-resistant in my part of Southern CA.
    By contrast, both Tamora and Ambridge Rose rusted so bad they should have gone to a marine salvage yard.
    The rust was separated by the mildew.

Few of the Austins survive here, without spraying.
    Golden Celebration does, as does Prospero.
    And The Herbalist is also clean.
    The Squire, Fisherman's Friend, and Othello were rust queens.

Jeri

• petaloid
    15 years ago

Roundelay looks like an Austin rose and has resisted disease in my coastal garden for years (which is rust city for many other roses).

Heaven Sent Roses in North Carolina is listed as a source -- check the HelpMeFind photos below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Roundelay

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Christopher Marlowe and Molineux have been very clean here no spray. Jubilee Celebration has been very good as well.
    Sharifa Asma nearly as good.

Abe Darby is the worst for rust. Evelyn is the second worst. Heritage also very bad. Ambridge Rose was very poor the first year but improved significantly after that, but it does start rusting up about early December and continues until pruning. Tamora is much better against rust than Ambridge Rose.

• mghamilton
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was shocked at the amount of Ab Darby rusting - the rose bush looks like a rust bomb hit it (and it is very twiggy and weak).

That Amb Rose does not seem to suffer from much rust, but it is weak and seems unhealthy.

My Eglatyne is great - no rust. And as I said, Golden Celb looks good, and so does W Shakesphere and Charles Renne. My Graham Thomas seems healthy but twiggy and weak.

I will look at everyone's recommendations. I am not into spraying - so I need something a bit more carefree.

Sigh, I confess that I like the English roses but am disappointed that they don't have the robustness of the modern hybrids.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

disappointed that they don't have the robustness of the modern hybrids.

*** Or, for that matter, many of their much older predecessors.

Jeri

• cupshaped_roses
    15 years ago

I have seen some Abraham Darby Roses getting rust! But most often they do really well ... In some gardens I have had to remove Abraham Darby since it got rust that spread to other roses. In a group planting of 7 only one of them got rust, the others were clean. I think sometimes it is the location ... othertime it is that particualr plant that is susceptible. Like Jeri said my Othello always gets rust, but I watches it when I see the orange spots and remove the infected leaves and spray. Then they are clean -
    other Austins that have been removed for getting rust are William Morris and Sophys rose. Except for Othello I do not tolerate roses that gets rust in garden. Sweet juliet has been remarkably resistent to disease here but it is hard to say if it will do well for you... in your area. Always listen to local experience!

• mghamilton
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well my Ab Darby is a bit crowded in the bed, perhaps the location is poor. I really like the blooms, so perhaps a move will help check the rust.

Because I want either pinks or pink-apricots I am leaning towards Sharifa Asma, St. Swithun, Mary Rose, or even Gertrude Jekyll Rose. Naturally, they have very different growth habits so I'll have to take that into consideration.

And, then there is the Romantica's, which I have not tried.