Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_z7ny

is pine bark chip mulch less inviting to squirrel digging?

ellen_z7ny
16 years ago

This year I finally realized that I could avoid squirrels digging up my potted plants if I covered the surface with enough gravel. I don't want to use it in my beds, though, where I have always used shredded cedar bark. I was wondering anyone has found that the chunky texture of pine bark chips is a digging deterrent. I am at war with raging maniac squirrels and basically have had to devote huge amounts of time and energy applying and reapplying homemade deterrent to the many newly planted and even not so newly planted areas of my garden.

Comments (9)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I doubt that it would. In my experience, gravel or lava rock is about the only thing that stops them probably because it's sharp. The lava rock works really well for me with my potted plants. I guess the same principle as the gravel.

I've always used blood meal for newly planted areas. It seems if I can just keep the critters away for the first week or so, they rarely go back and cause serious damage. It is amazing what happens if I don't use it. They will dig out every single plant I put in the ground. It's almost like they watch me and follow right behind with those little claws.

A bunch of us are being severely chastised right now on the Orchid Forum for our hatred of these demon spawn. The Squirrel Rights People just never give up.

Kevin

• ellen_z7ny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm with you, Kevin. I can't stand the moralizing of some people, even if I would not harm a squirrel myself. I'm allowed to hate them if I want. Anyone who thinks they don't do a lot a damage has simply been lucky -- so far.

My deterrent is a mix of blood meal, black pepper, and habanero pepper (very hot, but hard to find and expensive), mixed with sand for flowability. But if I don't apply it frequently (after every watering or rain), back they come. I guess our NY squirrels are more hard-nosed than yours.

• donn_
    16 years ago

I hate tree rats too. I don't care if other people think they're cute, and have some silly kind of rights, they aren't native to my neighborhood, but migrated in when the marshes were reclaimed by people who planted trees and gardens.

I find the only things that work are chicken wire and my pellet rifle. I've had them dig out 2" river rock mulch in pots and beds, but when I put a layer of chicken wire on top of the soil, hidden with mulch, it stops them.

The pellet rifle speaks for itself. A neighbor (retired Biology teacher) and I are hard at work thinning the local population. I think it's making a difference. He thinks if we can interfere with the reproductive cycle, we can seriously deplete the supply.

• justmetoo
    16 years ago

You all have some bad squirrels. I only have two the last few years and they don't dig anything up. I stuff the little things with all the yummy food they want and keep a ground bath for them to drink. They sit on the fence feeding or follow me around the sides of the house/gardens by running around the roof . Never dug anything up but they like to plant the corn in the beds and borders. I did have to chase corn seedlings this spring/early summer. Every place I have daylilies they plant several seeds of corn next to the clumps, I'm sure they were disappointed when 'my corn' bloomed with lovely flowers. They have no problem digging in pine mulch chips.

• katefisher
    16 years ago

I have yet to resort to a pellet gun. Right now I have resigned myself to the sling shot and the 3/4 inch rock that covers the far end of my property. I can take the raiding of the bird feeders but this spring/summer squirrels madly dug in my pots and beds apparently looking for food. Everytime I planted something they would follow along behind me and dig it up. Truly I've never been more furious. I loathed going out in my garden in the morning for fear of what I would find. By making the food more difficult for them to access and creating a deterrent with my sling shot the situation has improved. I no longer find them cute. My DH and I refer to them as the ground terrorists.

Kate

• entling
    16 years ago

The squirrels dig up newly planted things all the time. They even dug up a Redbud sapling! I find that if I put chicken wire around the newly planted things, after a week or so, the squirrels will leave them alone. My next door neighbor puts out peanuts for the little rats. I keeping finding peanut shells buried in my garden & have even had a couple of peanut plants sprout. I wish the neighbors would stop feeding them. Maybe some of them would go away. People who don't have squirrel problems have no idea how destructive they are. They knaw on deck posts & chew through wires.

• C Rutherford
    7 years ago

tree rats, haha.

In my state humans have long ago pretty much shot and killed everything wild except the squirrels, so they can have their nice little manicured boring lawns.
    Squirrels and rabbits, and an occasional possum. That's the sum of our pathetic 'wildlife'.
    Not
    that I wish personal destruction on anyone's backyard tomatoes, though
    its a shame we can't coexist with what's left. I suspect they've
    damaged the planet far less than we have :/
    but, can't argue with progress.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    7 years ago

Ground squirrels and tree rats have been a problem here at times, yes they dig in pots. I don't put out feeders for any animals, keeps the population down a bit. We have relocated the furry ones when we have a serious problem. Had to trap and move ground squirrels to a natural location when they insisted on making a home around a fence post a few years ago. As long as the "damage" they cause is minimal, so be it.

• flowergirl70ks
    7 years ago

I know a lady who traps and gasses over 200 yearly. She lives next to a cemetary where no one seems to care what kind of damage they do.