Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Has anyone else been disappointed with Lamarque?

sherryocala
13 years ago

Planted in March, 2009, this rose has done nothing for a year. I really like the flowers, but after blooming leaves turn yellow and drop, and it sits there. It has a bunch of thin canes not more than 4' long and would love to lounge on the ground if I let it. I'm definitely getting impatient with this one. Someone suggested feeding it more. It bloomed a little and that's all. No new canes and hardly any new growth.

I have another rose to put in it's place if he's going to be a pill, and then I won't have to build an arbor. But I'd love it if he has plans to be big.

Sherry

Comments (9)

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Well, he's a big beauty here. And have you heard of the Flores Street House-Eater?

That he's so huge and healthy in Southern TX makes me think he should "do" for you, but . . . maybe not.
    You probably need to hear from Dr. Manners.

Jeri

• malcolm_manners
    13 years ago

I don't recognize the problem -- when we had Lamarque, it was fine. Realize that there are two (at least) roses out there going by that name. The one Jeri grows is very likely what is often called "California Lamarque." The other one, "Thomasville Lamarque" is more often seen in the South -- it's less vigorous, and has larger clusters of smaller flowers. Who knows which one is the "real" Lamarque. But in any case, both of them should do fine in Ocala, so I don't know what the problem is. I've only ever grown them on 'Fortuniana' roots, so I don't know how either should perform, own-root, in Florida.
    Malcolm

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Malcolm (and Jeri). Maybe it's just slow to get going. It IS a climber, after all. Mine came from Rose Petals Nursery in Gainesville. Well, we'll see.

Sherry

• mary_anna
    13 years ago

My mother's Lamarque is about three years old, and it has always looked really scrubby to me. At my last house, I had a Prosperity that looked much better. I thought Lamarque was supposed to get huge, but it's no bigger than my Prosperity of the same age.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.maryannaevans.com

• jimmiesgran
    13 years ago

I have 2 Lamarques, one for each side of an arbor. Each side gets the same amount of sun. One of them is huge and robust and blooms a lot, the other is struggling. Go figure.

And even though it is so fragrant for most people, I can barely smell anything.

• taoseeker
    13 years ago

I'm in a complete differnt climate, but when leaves turn yellow after blooming it is a sign of nutrient deficiency. I have had this problem with bourbons, and if I water them with organic liquid fertilizer now and then when it's about to bloom, in additin to the basic solid organics, leaves stay healthy and rebloom comes quicker. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Mary Ann and Jimmiesgran, for posting your experiences. 'Scrubby' is a good way to describe mine. At least I am not alone. Taoseeker, thank you for this bit of education - when leaves turn yellow after blooming it is a sign of nutrient deficiency. I will give Lamarque more in-between liquid feeding and see how he does.

I hope he's "so fragrant" for me!!

Sherry

• sysonby
    13 years ago

Mine is enormous; it blooms modestly in the springtime and barely after that and it has eaten my garage to the point where I hack it back with hedge trimmers.

I'm not a fan.

• lookin4you2xist
    13 years ago

4th year or so was a charm for me in Tampa area. Gangly would be my term. Not a huge fan of it either, but nice rose. (Fortuniana also)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH