Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Growing Alister Stella Gray and Lamarque as large shrubs

jerome
14 years ago

Hi all,

Finally a free moment to post something again and glean some insights from you.

I am currently growing Lamarque in a position as a free standing very large shrub. The way it is growing in my climate indicates to me this will be successful.

I need to know if you think Alister Stella Gray can be grown in the same way - as a large shrub.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jerome

Comments (12)

• luxrosa
    14 years ago

I've also thought of growing Ca. "Lamarque" as a large shrub because I've seen 2 Tea-Noisettes very successfully grown as 6 foot tall shrubs:
    "Mme Alfred Carriere"
    "Reve d'Or"
    both c. 6 feet tall and beautiful, they also appear to bloom more often, when grown as shrubs.
    Just because a rose can grow large, doesn't mean it has to.
    I've grown a 5 foot tall "Albertine" in a 2 1/2 foot tall pot for 7 years, the only reason why I think it puts up with this is because it has tough roots, inherited from a wild rose species. I've also espaliered a 7' tall "Cornelia" so it only protrudes 2 and 1/2 feet outwards from the wooden fence it grows against.
    Because Alister Stella Gray has lovely long canes, I suggest training it into an arching shrub, (which would allow it to grow longer canes without taking up more space) by winding a 2-3 inch wide length of tree tape, (which is stronger than the green plastic tape used for most roses) around the rosebush at around the 5 and 1/2 foot tall mark, and let the canes arch and cascade over in all directions. The topmost part of each arching cane would be c. 7' tall, and continue downwards another 3 to 4'. The positioning of the tape is best done by two people. I'd check under the tape after every couple of months and move it up or down a few inches, if the canes appeared to need a bit more air circulation.
    I encourage you to try growing A.S.G. as a shrub, and let us know how it turns out, I would highly value such information.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.
    Luxrosa

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

I have always enjoyed reading your posts, and it's nice to hear that you are still growing roses.
    I will never be able to grow large rose plants (space), but those two are among my very favorites. Have at it!

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Very interesting, Jerome. I have a Lamarque in the ground almost 6 months. He got to about 4' and stopped so maybe he wants to be a bush.

Luxrosa, that arching, taped method sounds like a neat way to grow a shorter climbing rose. I'll have to keep it in mind. I like that idea.

Sherry

• duchesse_nalabama
    14 years ago

Jerome,
    I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I hope you'll grow your ASG as a shrub and then post some pictures of it and Lamarque. I'm glad you're getting some time to garden. Feeds the soul!

• buffington22
    14 years ago

My ASG is huge! Canes are 12-15 feet long but it is a wonderful rose, highly fragrant and always blooming. The canes are very full too, not spindly.

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

Hi Jerome. Sounds to me like it will work. I'm even growing Felicite Perpetue as a shrub. I just have to keep after it. I hope you are having a great summer.

• jerome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great to hear from all of you! I do get into the garden still. I have an Alister Stella Gray as a climber on one of our staircases, planted as a bareroot about 18 months ago. It is gorgeous and trust me, it is tea-noisette foliage, rather thornless and a Huge Plant - but, not one bloom yet. It is grafted. The one to be grown for a shrub, I am going to get own root from ARE. I should take photos of the foliage of the climber one we have - because I don't understand why no flowers unless this is a rose that (grafted) wants to put on some heft before it blooms. A friend from this area had an own-root she said bloomed constantly from 6" onward. Go figure.

• luxrosa
    14 years ago

Jerome,
    is your non-blooming A.S.G. being shaded by something?
    Lux.

• bebemarie
    14 years ago

Hi,

There is a HUGE ASG growing as a freestanding "bush" in a neighbor's garden in Pacifica. It's at least 12ft high and wide and stunning. This was an especially good year for the mound of bloom.

I'm getting an ASG from Vintage on Monday and plan to grow it freestanding.

Diane

• jerome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lux, my plant is in full sun from about 10AM until sunset every day.

• nastarana
    14 years ago

I have found in my yard that ASG stays at shrub form, mine is now about 5-6' tall in less than optimum location with minimum water. It can withstand drought, but doesn't grow past shrub height. Mine is against a fence, facing south, and we have sever water restrictions. In a better location, ASG would probably climb. Mine is almost continuously in bloom from about late May til at least November. It does start blooming a little later than other roses for me. In the same location, Cl Aime Vibert has taken off over the hills and away, and Celine Forestier barely grows at all. So CF probably needs more water and some protection from sun and ASG does not need to be given your best real estate, especially if you wnat to keep him as a bush.

• jerome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Nastarsana. I look forward to getting this own-root one for the area by the high school.