Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

sulphur spray and dormant oil

kentstar
15 years ago

Where can I get lime sulphur spray or dormant oil? Lowes? Online? Garden Centers?

I am really new to roses, just planted my first this past spring. When is the best time to use them? Do I wait after using sulphur spray to use the dormant oil?

I am such a newbie to roses I have no idea of what I'm doing! lol Learning as I go, I guess.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Comments (8)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

You can use these products in combination, in the same sprayer, BUT ONLY IN THE DORMANT SEASON.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER using these products during the growing-blooming season,
    unless you really WANT to eliminate all of your foliage.

Do not use horticultural oils at all in periods of high temperatures
    We have seen damage from it at temperatures in the 80-degree range.

Jeri

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

Before you do anything, go to the library and pick up a few "How to" books on Growing Roses. Let us know where you live, cityand state, and we can suggest a local rose society or Consulting Rosarian who can provide information and answer your many questions.
    If thee is a successful rose grower in your area, vist them for a garden tour and ask lots of questions. Nothing is better than hands on information.
    I have people stopping all the time with questions. I enjoy helping them. We usually end up becoming friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosenut's website for zone 5 rose growers.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. I went to my local nursery here near Kent Ohio, Battaglia's Gardens, and was told they do sell it there later in the season around late Oct, early November. I do realize I can't use them now, but I wanted to stock up soon for the colder weather coming in a couple of months.

• buford
    15 years ago

Yes, buy it as soon as you see it. Last year I had a hard time finding it and sprayed late as a result.

• tulipsmiles
    14 years ago

I'm interested in using a dormant oil on my roses to protect from Winter Moth Catepillars, but wonder if they are still dormant. I'm thinking they aren't anymore because they are just starting to leave out and it's April 2nd. Also, this weekend is supposed to be in the high 70 degrees, and I imagine the roses will come to life.
    Shall I just use neem oil to protect my roses?

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I have been thinking of using it this year in the spring. Is it effective at all? My parents are concerned about the toxicity as our vegetable garden is next to the roses. My main problem is black spot and Japanese Beetles. JB I will have to knock them unconscious but bs is another matter.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

This oil is only used when the roses are dormant. Since Japanese Beetles come out in June, it will not stop them. A better preventive for JBs is something called Milky Spore, which you put on your lawn (that is where JBs live in the winter, not in flower beds) and it can kill the grubs. For blackspot, while dormant oil will kill the spores that overwinter, it's likely that other spores will come around during the growing season. Your best bet is to get a spray fungicide to apply regularly to roses to prevent blackspot.
    If you are careful with spraying, you should be able to avoid the vegetables.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Thanks Buford. I haven't used any chemicals for years now. I thought to try the dormant oil in early spring to lessen the bs spores currently in the soil.