Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucretia1_gw

Name the disease resistant roses

lucretia1
14 years ago

Went out in the no-spray yard today to see who's looking good, and took a few pictures of the best and the worst. Without looking at the shapes/colors of the leaves (or the lousy image quality!), can you tell which is which based on the amount of the disease?

The roses are (in no particular order: Cardinal de Richelieu, Intrigue, Golden Showers, Jeri Jennings, Mme Isaac Pereire, Souv. de Dr Jamain, Alchymist, and Pink Gruss an Aachen.

Rose #1:

{{gwi:326825}}

Rose #2:

{{gwi:326826}}

Rose #3:

{{gwi:326827}}

Rose #4:

{{gwi:326828}}

Rose #5:

{{gwi:326829}}

Rose #6:

{{gwi:326830}}

Rose #7:

{{gwi:326831}}

Rose #8:

{{gwi:326832}}

Think you know which ones are the disease magnets and which are disease resistant? The roses are:

# 1: Dr Jamain

#2: Golden Showers

#3: Intrigue

#4: Jeri Jennings

#5: Mme Isaac

#6: Pink Gruss

#7: Alchymist

#8: Cardinal de R

No particular point to make here. I just found it interesting that this year the roses that are some of the cleanest in my yard are some that are supposed to be among the worst for disease resistance. (And yes, some of the photos are of new growth and some of older leaves, but the pictures are pretty typical of how the whole bush is doing.) Some of them are only about a year old, so things might change over time, but it sure wasn't what I expected based on reputations. I guess there is a point to be made--if you see a rose you can't live without, even if it has a lousy reputation, give it a try. What have you got to lose?

Comments (5)

• scardan123
    14 years ago

Yes Lucretia, disease resistance can improve with time, although not dramatically.
    But you really can compare disease resistance only ALL ELSE EQUAL. A weak rose with perfect exposure & soil could be easily healthier than a disease-resistant rose with a very bad exposure and wrong watering.

I agree that trying is the best thing, can lead to positive surprises. And you should always try to place a rose in ideale condition, even if you know it is a resistant rose.

PS: a good hint for disease resistance is if a rose has won the ADR selection, a very tough German test. It is not a guarantee for every climate and every exposure, but winning ADR is a significant statement in the "curriculum" of a rose.

• cjrosaphile
    14 years ago

Hey Lucretia1 - Very interesting exercise. In my garden, my best disease-resistant roses are Julia Child, The Fairy, Livin' Easy and Easy Going. Suppose that it all depends on the year weatherwise. Last year was a great year for our area. Diseases did not run as rampant. Had to break the news to some folks who just started rosing last season that it was a good year and to be prepared for the infamous bs, etc. that affects our area roses. Some of my roses have gotten better disease-wise like Betty Boop and Brilliant Pink Iceberg. Other than these, I have to battle the same diseases on certain roses each season. For instance, I have come so close to sp-ing Veteran's Honor because of its rust issues, but then it starts blooming and I just can't do it. C'est la vie avec les roses. CJ

• karenforroses
    14 years ago

Right now my most disease resistant roses are the newer Kordes 'Apricot Vigorosa' and 'Cinderella Fairy Tale', the Austins 'Queen of Sweden', 'Jude the Obscure', 'Lilian Austin', 'Othello', 'Carding Mill', 'Huntington Rose', 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles', 'Golden Celebration', and 'Harlow Carr', the Buck roses''Prairie Sunrise', and 'Quietness', the floribundas 'Rainbow Sorbet', 'Amber Queen' and 'Royal Wedding', the climbers 'Morgengruss', 'America', 'Polka', 'Dortmund', 'New Dawn', 'William Baffin', and 'Ramblin' Red', and the hybrid tea 'Helen Naude'. They are all perfectly clean, despite the fact that I haven't sprayed in a month and we've had lots of rain. Most of my other roses have some degree of blackspot (I'm spraying tomorrow), but the ones I listed above are clean as a whistle.

• vedazu
    14 years ago

The only ones truly without disease--ever--are Mother of Pearl, the Buck rose Country Dancer, and Apricot Candy. Others, including Polka and Portmerion do well, but these three are really clean all the time.

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

With my climate it's rare to have disease, so I'll just say the few out of my 30 roses that do have diseases. When I lived in Edmonton - we had no rose disease for the 6 years I gardened. So I'm surprised to have disease here.

1. Rouge Royale - covered in rust (I guess)
    2. Falstaff - BS (I still love this rose)

So if these ones do poorly here, it's probably a given anywhere else.

Carol