Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

'Crimson Globe' I finally identified that huge red rose.

luxrosa
12 years ago

A couple of years ago someone brought me an immense red rose blossom to identify, he had found it growing in a friends garden in Berkeley, Ca.

-I'd never seen a rose that size, in person.

-an immense size, far larger than 'Crimson Glory' and a slightly deeper crimson. Though the deeper hue could have been due to the dehydration which takes place when a cut rose blossom has been out of water for a few hours. Facts like this contribute to the difficulty of rose identification, ideally an 18 inch cane with blooms, helps best to identify a rose cultivar or species, along with a photo of the entire plant to show growth habit. There are more than 40 thousand different roses on the planet today.

-great weight of bloom, by far, the heaviest rose blossom I'd ever held in my palm.

I thought about the some thousands of different types of roses I've seen, at vintagegardens and san jose heritage rose garden and other private and public gardens, and none of my notes I've taken over the last ten years mention any red rose that size, with that petal count.

- Its' armature didn't match any red H.P. I've seen.

- I searched helpmefind. com to no avail, no photos of any red rose appeared to even slightly resemble it.

- I only had one blossom to go on, and hardly any foliage or armature on the shortly cut stem to help identify it.

-the bloom was deeply fragrant of Damask.

Then, a few months ago, I remembered;it had stiff brown moss.

I've thought about it often over the last two years and then recently I saw a photo of a huge red Moss rose of the name 'Crimson Globe' that showed the distinct shape of his rose. I had found the name of the Rose!!!

I am tickled pink to know its' name.

Graham S. Thomas didn't seem to think much of 'Crimson Globe', it balled in his climate in England, well it would having c. 60+ petals.

It is a rose that needs heat to open well.

I hope to meet the plant someday.

Luxrosa

Comments (6)