Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Vintage French Import Rose Growers?

I'd love to know who you are, what roses you have and how they're doing. I have only two, No. 92 Nanjing tea and Dr. O'Donel Browne. Nanjing is very small but leafy and has some mildew and blacksot. The Dr. is basically one cane but has new growth buds and I'm dying to see both of them in bloom next spring, if I'm not hoping for too much.

How about the rest of you? I seem to remember that Jeri at least even had flowers of Alice Hamilton.

Ingrid

Comments (16)

• 10 years ago

I have 'Frederic II De Prusse' and 'Milkmaid.'

Both have remained smallish, though 'Milkmaid' looks like it will be a doozy when it's older.

Josh

• 10 years ago

I got Silver Queen, Jeanne d'arc, Mme. Taft and Salmon Wings. Thought I had lost Salmon Wings, but have leaves sprouting, so here's hoping. The rest are doing great, no blackspot to speak of.

Josh gave me S Raubritter; it's hard to find out anything much about it (mystery rose!)

• 10 years ago

Well, I looked up Macrantha Raubritter Rose, and got some information; It's a groundcover, blooms only once, and I can hardly wait to plant.

This post was edited by ogrose on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 20:28

• 10 years ago

Ingrid, this is what I received:
    Hommage a Soupert et Notting
    Alexis Lepere HP
    Earl of Eldon TN
    Francois Arago HP
    Laurent Carle HP
    All of mine came looking very healthy and large in October. I really tried sheltering the Earl as he had put on blooms and I wanted to see them but it just got too cold.
    I have more on order, including Alice Hamilton, for spring but I'm not sure which ones are Euros and which are just the ones they were clearing out.
    I'm happy to share the other names if you are interested.
    Susan

• 10 years ago

Mine wont arrive until spring. Ask again next year.

• 10 years ago

My List:
    Frederic II de Prusse
    Tresor de Thorigny
    Hommage a Soupert et Notting
    Rose de Monplasir
    Soyeuse de Lyon
    Sui Men Ren
    Mme. Hersile Ortgies
    Florence Ducher
    They came to me looking well and are doing well even after this cold freeze we have just had. I'm really excited about these roses.

• 10 years ago

Hi Ingrid, IâÂÂm so glad you posted this question, because it caused me to go out and check on my bands which are potted up in 1 gallons, and I discovered their soil was frozen solid!

I was trying to recall which of the 3 imports I wasnâÂÂt too happy about and needed to look at them to remember, so your question may have saved these babies.

We have been having cold nights in the teens here in central CA which is rare for us. I have my large roses under the eaves and covered with a floating row cover and they are doing fine. The smaller 1 gallons, including the imports, were huddled together in straw and covered with the row cover as well. DidnâÂÂt work! So I quickly moved them yesterday into my garage when I made this discovery, made me late for work but I could see a real tragedy in the making. Keeping my fingers crossed they will survive their ordeal.

I have the following hybrid perpetuals:
    ⢠Mme. De Stael: This is the one I am a bit worried about, even though itâÂÂs tiny, I can see suckering in the pot, and could be a problem.
    ⢠Mme Lierval
    ⢠Paul Verdier

They were all growing fine, one was sent with all leaves stripped off so must have had some BS or?, but it responded with new leaves no problem.

Thanks again,
    Priscilla

• 10 years ago

Oh my gosh, Priscilla, that's really awful. I don't know enough to say whether your plants will survive after being frozen, but I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you. To wait all that time for these roses and then not have them make it would be terrible. It doesn't usually get this cold in December in California, and I'm surprised that with the protection you gave them that the soil would be frozen.

I've heard of fewer than half of these roses, and know next to nothing about any of them. It's going to be sooo exciting to see pictures when these roses bloom and perhaps find out a little more about them.

Ingrid

• 10 years ago

Ingrid,

I am so excited as well to see these roses bloom! I am babying the heck outta my bands to try to see that they make it through the winter!

Susan, I am so jealous of your Earl of Eldon! And Medocino it's great to know that another GW member has F2DP as well!

Josh

• 10 years ago

Hi,

I purchased Cornelie. It is very healthy, and growing at a decent pace.

On a side note, I would love to get a Catherine Soupert, and have wondered if Vintage has continued their custom rooting for a bit?

Lynn

Lynn

• 10 years ago

Lynn,

Vintage has ceased their custom rooting. I asked the same about Duc d'Angouleme and they said they could not custom root.

Josh

• 10 years ago

Thanks Josh. You saved me an email, but :(

I really missed the boat regarding Vintage.

I am happy there is a Burlington and Angel G.

Lynn

• 10 years ago

Thanks Josh. You saved me an email, but :(

I really missed the boat regarding Vintage.

I am happy there is a Burlington and Angel G.

Lynn

• 10 years ago

Hommage a Soupert et Notting and Earl of Eldon look simply stunning. I couldn't find F2DP anywhere, not even on the Vintage site. I'm working my way through looking up your roses and wish I could have bought a dozen at the least. Perhaps after some time we could exchange cuttings of roses that we love but don't have and vice versa. Maybe, hopefully, some of them will even find their way to other on-line nurseries, assuming there are many left in the future.

Ingrid

• 10 years ago

As I said earlier, I am more than happy to share cuttings once they get enough size on them and I've shared that info with Pam of Angel Gardens and Linda Loe of Long Ago Roses.
    And we sure can swap with each other.
    I can't tell you how disappointed I was that I didn't get to see the Earl bloom...he had lots of buds. But he is very vigorous. And Josh, you will get the first set of cuttings, don't despair! : )
    Susan

• 10 years ago

Just got my group in:
    Camille Pissaro
    Estelle
    Tea Time
    Salmon Wings
    Mme. Louis Henri
    ellow Mutablis
    Rose de Monplasir
    Marie Brissonet
    Louise Catherine Breslau