Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

Oops - hope they live!

canadian_rose
14 years ago

Well, I put my potted roses in the garage very early, not realizing how long of a warm fall we have here. Plus I watered them tons, then immediately put plastic bags over them (to keep the light out). Ooops.

So now I looked under the garbage bags and there is TONS of white fungus (like PM on steroids - really thick) on the leaves. Plus the stems are black. Sigh.

Should I just leave them? Should I take the bags off completely? Should I prune them? Are they going to die? Are they dead already?

I have 30 rose bushes, so I sure hope they can be saved.

Please help!

Carol

Comments (9)

• elks
    14 years ago

O, that is so sad! I hope you don't lose them too, but your description doesn't sound good. The plastic bags kept them too wet. They couldn't breathe. I've not had much luck with those like that. It was a hard lesson, but good luck,
    Steve.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    14 years ago

No it doesn't sound good. You could cut a little off the end of the cane. If it is white colored your ok, if it's brown cut back further.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

The roses have to go dormant first, no green leaves, before being brought into the garage.
    Spray them with a fungus spray that's effective on Powdery Mildew. They should be exposed to a good hard freeze before being brought into the garage and the garage should not be heated.
    My potted roses are placed in an unheated greenhouse where they get light during the day. The soil in the pots freezes during extremely cold spells. They get just enough water to keep them from drying out. Come spring they all leaf out and do well.
    Over protecting can be worse than under protecting.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Crap!

Yes, now in retrospect, I've done it all wrong!! Which is strange since I have overwintered roses in the garage at my old house. I just did it all wrong this time.

PLUS - our garage's heater kept going on all night to keep the temperature warm. I noticed it one morning!!! GAH!!!

And you're right, Karl, the leaves were still sort of green.

Oh well, I guess this was an expensive lesson. :(
    I'm bummed!

Carol

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

Need not be. They're not dead until they're dead. Spray to kill the mildew or, this late in the season, strip the diseased leaves off and spray the mildewed canes. After making sure they're dormant and the heater is off for the winter, bring them into the garage. Care for them as needed during the winter and see what's alive come spring.
    I suspect most will survive.

• jont1
    14 years ago

Karl's advice sounds very right on. I would spray and strip off the foliage and prune back any black/dead cane and stems that are still there.
    Let them go dormant and don't cover them up.
    I overwinter all my Pot Ghetto in the unheated garage here in Northwest Missouri zone 5b/6a uncovered. I give them a drink if they get dry or put a shovel full of snow on top of them and let that slowly melt into the container. That seems to be the best way to keep them hydrated during the winter. You definitely don't want them to dry completely out even if they are dormant.
    John

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay Karl and John. Here's the thing, I've never sprayed anything - there's no need here. So what would I spray? I wonder if anyone sells anything for mildew at this time of year. Wait, I know that all the greenhouses are open selling Christmas stuff. I'll go check it out. Thanks!!

You give me hope!!

Carol

• ebster
    14 years ago

How can you tell when the pot is drying out? How much water would you give to an one gallon pot?

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

During winter, a shovel full of snow in the pot will supply enough moisture as it melts to sustain it. I stick my finger into the soil. If it feels moist it's OK, if dry, I add a cup full or so. You just want to add enough to keep the rose from drying out. The soil should be moist not wet.