Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milkmood

Aquarium Skimmings for Fertilizer ?

milkmood
12 years ago

I have a 100g saltwater aquarium that produces several ounces of concentrated proteins per week, mostly from fish waste, uneaten fish food, dead algae, etc.

Wondering if anybody else 1) keeps a saltwater/reef tank, has ever tried fertilizing with the skimmed proteins, and 2) how it compares to fish emulsion people use as organic fertilizer.

I'm conducting a kind of experiment. I took a week's worth of the stuff, diluted down into a 1/2 gallon of RODI water and spread it over a 4x8' bed before seeding. Anxious for the results, but curious about others that have considered this.

On a related note, if anybody wants to try this, I'd be willing to trade some of this stuff for some heirloom seeds, starts, or whatever...west valley.

Cp

Comments (4)

• plstqd
    12 years ago

I used to keep freshwater fish, and regularly used the water from cleaning the tanks to water non-food plants. I have no real idea if they benefited or not. I was never comfortable using that water for vegetables because of: a) the conditioners used to treat the water; and b) the risk of parasites/diseases from the fish.

With a saltwater tank, I'd also be concerned about the increased salt in our already salty water and soil.

• milkmood
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What I'm referring to doesn't involve any water from the aquarium, so there's no salt involved (a salinity test for specific gravity proved this) . . . this stuff is the product of a mechanical protein skimmer which, using fine bubbles, creates foam (literally seafoam) which pops the protein waste solids up and into a catch. I then take those solids, like the consistency of natural peanut butter, and dilute them down with RO water, maybe around a couple tablespoons to a 1/2 gallon of water. Probably could go to a gallon and still be good.

I never add anything to my aquarium besides sodium carbonate, magnesium, and sodium chloride, so as far as conditioners, chemicals, etc..there are none. And about parasites...very unlikely once it's diluted down into fresh water. I'm sure though, that there are some good pro-biotics in there.

This stuff smells horrible, and as we all know, anything that smells horrible has to be good for an organic garden!

Does anybody know what "fish emulsion" that you buy in the store is made of? I'm curious if it's this very thing.

• plstqd
    12 years ago

Oh duh. I've run across discussions of protein skimmers with saltwater tanks, but didn't make the connection with what you're talking about until you explained it. 'Scuse the false ring :)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

"Fish emulsion" is made from fish flesh ...

I can't think of any reason you can't use it on plants - it will be decomposed into nitrogen the plants can use.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery