Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Turning a tree into a bush

loribee2
12 years ago

I've got this little crape myrtle I've never been happy with:

{{gwi:530886}}

In retrospect, I do not like the "lollipop" shape of this tree. That's probably aided by the fact that each year, it grows about 5 branches that flail out from the top, it never seems to get any taller, and I can't get it to bush out fuller no matter how I prune it.

This year, when it started growing the suckers from the bottom, I told my husband not to cut them back. What I'd really like to do is let them grow and turn this from a tree into a shrub....which will then hopefully grow into a multi-trunked small patio tree. I can't help but wonder if that's what this tree has really "wanted" to do from the start.

Do you think there's any problem doing this? Also, would you cut the main trunk of the tree back? If so, how far?

Granted, I'm the person who turned a row of apricot suckers into a privet so I know anything's possible. I've just been a little reluctant to cut the tree off at the wick even though I'd be MUCH happer with this as a shrub.

Comments (8)

• loribee2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Al! That was the answer I hoped for. This whole tree is about 4'. How far down would you cut the main trunk? Maybe about the level that is the top of the suckers? Higher? Lower?

I've seen crape myrtles as multi-trunked trees, much the way I've grown photinias before, and they're really beautiful. IMO much prettier than the lollipop ones. That's what I'd love to end up with.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

As was said, the suckers will be different than the top IF the tree was grafted.

If you cut the top so that you have a shorter main stem, make certain you remove all the growth at the base. If they're from the root stock, they're not the same color as the top and they tend to mildew even worse than the top might.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How would I know if the tree is grafted?

And I'm not quite clear on what you mean by the rootstock branches being different. You mean the branches that come up from the sides of the tree trunk or the suckers? I have had a powdery mildew problem with this tree (where I live, it's everywhere!).

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

If the tree is grafted it means there are two genetically different trees living as one - the grafted top and the rootstock bottom. If this is the case letting the suckers from the rootstock take over means you won't have the same type of tree that you originally bought, you will have whatever the rootstock was. If the tree wasn't grafted then go ahead and let the suckers take over, it's all the same plant and the roots will produce the same color flowers as the rest.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, I have no idea if this was grafted. Though considering I was close to pulling the tree and planting something different, I suppose I don't have much to lose by trying this first.

Thanks much for the explanation!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Lori if you are unable to find out if you have a grafted tree, I would play it safe and just cut right below the branching you have, your stump will grow many new branches, allowing to chose as many as you want, and you can remove the rest. You can of course remove now the suckers you have and let the energy go into the new growth you want. In the next year or two you do the pruning to select which new branches to keep. Because of your location, if you wish to replace your crape myrtle, select one of those varieties with the Indian names. These are hybrids resistant to mildew, and there is now many to chose from. Al

• loribee2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, Al! I really appreciate the advice.