Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
den_vic

Myth buster proved this BC myth correct

den_vic
13 years ago

Whispers in eastern Canada about palms and bamboo along the British Columbia coast were words of taboo. Nowadays exotic flora in coastal BC can be enjoyed by the entire country. The author of this channel names plants while he displays them on his channel. It's great for the BC coastal gardener.

The wonders of BC contradict Canadian gardening as a whole. Think of Hong Kong as being a different part of China. Now think of BC as a SAR zone but for gardening rather than politics. Every Canadian gardener should experience BC gardening with at least a visit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of a BC coast garden

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

If I were in BC I would visit your gardens but to visit BC just to see them--that would be a no thanks.

Frankly I get no kick out of visiting a garden that has a temperate climate and it is easy to grow things. Any fool can grow a garden in those circumstances. What I would get a kick out of is visiting an arctic garden and seeing how they do things and deal with an inhospitable climate.

You can keep bragging and maybe someone will listen but count me out

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Den, I have visited this garden, I felt like I was standing in a tropical jungle, really impressive.
    A lot of palms and bananas are starting to pop up in gardens in the city where I live. I'm more of a cottage style gardener myself but I still stand in awe when viewing these majestic plants, thanks for sharing.

• ianna
    13 years ago

Den Vic,

It's nice looking garden and sure it's remarkable given that it's in BC - and not in California.

I have been in BC and actually lived in the interiors for at least a year. I love the climate of the interiors and of the island but I just couldn't stand the rainy weather in the coastal areas. Back then (~30 years ago) tropicana types couldn't survive the area. I can only think of climate changes that allow tropical plants to survive there. If so, that is worrisome. In some areas of Toronto, even the Japanese banana manage to survive. It's either the heat of the city or again climate change. or the El Nina effect. One can only look at the devastation in China and Pakistan to see how bad the climate has become.

However, of course it can also be that plants were developed to tolerate colder zones. I know the Japanese bananas trees is one such case. In my old tropical country, we do have palms growing in the highest mountains which are colder areas and so I can see how some plants from a more cooler climate can be developed further for cold tolerance.

• ninamarie
    13 years ago

When is the best time of year to see it?

• halaeva
    13 years ago

Den.
    They are only Windmill palms! I find gardening more challenging in Toronto.I am not interested of visiting BC.

• luckynes13
    13 years ago

I have been to BC. Vancouver Island. If I could, I would live there. It's the best part of Canada.
    I was amazed by it abundance of natural beauty.
    thanks for posting!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH