Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pallas_athena

ID and advice for mystery plant

Pallas_Athena
9 years ago

My mother was gifted this odd looking plant when it was very small and green. I believe it is a succulent, and has since etoliated a great deal from what I assume is lack of sunshine. However, all of a sudden it bloomed violently this year, and she has deemed it worth saving. Does it need a whack and propagation? Better soil? Tossed in the trash? I'd love to find out how to make this mystery plant less leggy, but still blooming. Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)

• Becky
    9 years ago

That looks like a Kalanchoe(Fire star maybe?), and I think it could benefit from being beheaded(you'd end up with two plants, respectively). You should find a more south or west facing window for it, since it was crawling so much for sunlight.

I can't tell of those are weeds or little babies popping out of the soil, either..

• Pallas_Athena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're so right, Noteybook, it's a kalanchoe blossfeldiana! Thank you so much for your help!

Where exactly on the stem should I behead it, and should i trim off any extra from the original so the new growth is shorter and more uniform? I was planning on taking it outside for her so it gets full sun. Also, do I let the cutting callus over and plant it in a perlite mix, or do I put it in water to propagate roots?

Also, yes, those are babies! Should they be repotted in smaller containers and brought outside, or is it too early to separate them from the mama?

This post was edited by Pallas_Athena on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 18:41

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Wow, I have never seen such an etiolated K. blossfeldiana before. Obviously from a serious lack of sufficient light. And the soil is far too peaty and water retentive. It needs a fast draining potting mix to thrive. If it were mine, I would cut the stem a couple inches from the soil line, and save the top section as a cutting to root on its own. Most of the long stem section I would discard. This is a very common plant, so if the surgery did not bear good results, it is not a great loss. Unless of course there is sentimental attachment to the plant. I myself had one of these for twenty years that belonged to a great aunt. Good luck with yours.

Christopher

• Pallas_Athena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Christopher, the deed has been done. I said the exact same thing--told her it looked like a poor, sickly snake, but it was a gift from a dear friend of hers so she just asked if I could try to save it at all. Hopefully the cutting will root and the babies will stay healthy in FULL SUN

• TomatoTom2014
    9 years ago

Just make sure and don't go directly from that window to full sun. Slowly acclimate them to brighter light.