Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greglava

Clematis only blooms once per season

greglava
14 years ago

My Clematis looks like the one on top of the page. When I bought it the container said it bloomed from May to September. It is about 4 years old and it blooms great in May but that is it. How do I get it to bloom all season?

Comments (8)

• leaffan96_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a Miss Bateman clematis and it is absolutely full and beautiful...but it blooms the end of May and that is it! What can I do?

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Most Clematis bloom for a short period of time. They do not bloom all season like annuals do. To try and get another flush of bloom you can cut it back by half after it is done and fertilize with low nitrogen fertilizer and keep it well watered. As Miguel advised above....

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Due to living in the north, naturally my clematis begin to bloom later in the season than for those living in warmer climates ... though, because I've very deeply dug and amended the soil, the plants continue to push new growth and extend their bloom season into October when hard frost strikes them.

Terrance

• ditas
    12 years ago

In my zone the few clems I have, seem to collapse in the heat of Summer but as soon as cooler days start once more, I often get a 2nd surge of buds & blooms altho not as plentiful as in Jun ~ when they usually put on their show. My Blue Bell is usually a week later & keeps producing for a long time!

I've never tried fertilizing in the past ~ perhaps if I did I might get better 2nd show huh?!

The problems I've experienced w/ them are years w/ unusually odd Springs - to wet & steamy or year of earwigs & other bloom munching bugs or even the *sudden wilt syndrome*!

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

My plants with very long bloom periods or repeat bloom usually shut down when it gets really dry. Water is the trick, along with keeping a good supply of nutrients coming along. Also, many plants will stop blooming when it gets good and hot.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

'Miss Bateman' in particular blooms early and very heavily. Most sources indicate that this heavy early bloom tends to make any later reblooming unlikely. The suggestions given were to prune very lightly after the first flush - barely more than deadheading - fertilize with a low nitrogen product and hope for the best.

Not all type II's will offer a later season rebloom - many do, some don't.

• Narges Taghizadeh
    2 years ago

I have 7 clamatis in my garden near the fences and walls, I don’t know why my climatises only bloom in June for one week and then the flower petals fall and that’s it!!! It’s all I get from them. I don’t know what I am doing wrong!!!!