Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_berry_gw

Please Id this wrapped up Clematis

maggie_berry
14 years ago

I was given this Clematis because someone was moving and did not want to leave it. It is half atached to a trellis by two broken bamboo sticks. I did dig a big two foot hole, added compost and watered almost everyday. I also planted a few coneflowers around the base, that should grow in and shade the roots. The area is a low spot and should stay some what cool. It is doing well, except the tips look a little wilty but that could be from transplant shock. My questions are: Should I try to unwrap the vines from the pole and guide it unto the tree?Or should I just secure the poles to the tree the best I can to minimize the shock to the plant. Should the clematic be cut down in the fall then trained up the tree? What is its name?

{{gwi:615173}}

{{gwi:615175}}

Comments (7)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Looks like Clematis "General Sikorski" to me. You will need to put netting on the tree trunk if you wish for it to climb the tree..it can't grab onto the tree otherwise..you can prune by half and put up netting after your bloom is over...pruning back before digging up and transplanting is always advised as you want the plant to focus on re-establishing it's roots..not growing new vines..that will stress the plant...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: General Sikorski

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Coneflowers aren't going to like all the water that the Clematis will need. You do not have to grow something around the base of the Clematis to "shade it" that is a garden myth. They do need moist roots but they can be moist in full sun with mulch. Harder to prune when there are plants all around them ;)

• maggie_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne, from your experience is the idea of climbing this type of tree silly looking or is this done all the time? Would it be better to move her to an arbor with a climbing rose. I just planted her a week ago, would you prune her down now and put her in a pot or just leave her like she is for this summer and move her in November. Buyorsell888, I'm moving the coneflower tomorrow. Does the Clematis need to be pruned regularly? Thank You both

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Maggie..I've never grow a clem up a tree..I worry the poor clematis roots will lose out to the tree roots in competition for water and nutrient..I have my clematis growing with climbing roses and adore the combos that I have..If you have cool temps I would move her now to let her get her roots established in her new home before your winter sets in ..prune back and move her to your climbing rose...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I am not having good luck growing them up trees. Not that they aren't thriving but the dang things aren't growing up but out.

I know many do it but a Type II like that one is likely don't grow tall enough and the moving it to the rose is a better idea.

• maggie_berry
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The longer I looked at the clematis near the tree the funnier it looked to me. I am going to move it as soon as possible. It has been raining almost everyday so this is the perfect time to move it. I am also in the process of putting up a rose arbor so I have a spot for her. Thank You both for helping me out.
    Maggie

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Maggie..goodluck and let us know how it goes...Jeanne