Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buylady

Hey Mike! and all we're partying on the deck finally but

buylady
13 years ago

first 2 pics is whats left of the stump that almost died now its showing new growth do 1.cut the top stump off????

{{gwi:611724}}

{{gwi:611728}}

all plants partying on the left side of deck next

{{gwi:611729}}

rightside of deck next

{{gwi:611730}}

next is new growth

{{gwi:611731}}

next is more new growth on another

{{gwi:611732}}

the next 2 are damage i think after temp was 100 deg here yesterday looks like cooked leaves an curled leaves

{{gwi:611734}}

cooked leaves

{{gwi:611736}}

ok now what do i do with the ones look like they got cooked yesterday this is what they looked like this a m???HELP!!!!!

Comments (31)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

looks like your are heading in the right direction! What is the plant you referred to as a "stump"? Is is a grafted tree? If so remove the new growth below the graft, if its not grafted I would leave it alone until next year and let it just rest and recover. You can prune it later.

Stay on top of your watering and ferts and you should be just fine.

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

its on a post here some whereLOL i guess it got a desease all the leaves dropped off its not graft i do no that but what bout the burned leaves should i leave them out today (bout 3 plants)they ALL been out on the in the sun since sunday when should i water them? again...its posed to be 100 again today..thx for your help

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

did you put them straight from the house to full sun? If so you should put them in filter sun for a couple weeks. you only have a couple months of growing season left so I would baby these plants until you have to bring them back in. The objective now is getting them healthy enough to survive winter and not necessarily to get them to put on a ton of new growth. When to water is the hard thing to figure out. I still dont have a grasp on using the dowel rod method.

we have had temps in the 100's for weeks now and my trees are loving it. I do have to water daily and sometimes twice daily.

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well not exactly shade was my jacuzzi room it has full glass doors i used that as shade after repotting them in Mikes 5-1-1 mix left them there for 2 weeks then out..

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi mksmith,
    Using the dowel to check for moiature content is very simple. I will tell ya my method okay? I take a clean dry sowel and push it in as deep as it will go. Then pull it out, and touch your cheek. IF you fell ANY dampness at all, you know it is fine. If you don't feel any dampness, the you just soak it and your tree will be getting the correct watering it needs.
    Andrew

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok Andrew thx i was doing that inside after i read it here what bout the look like cooked ones u think they'll be OK in the sun all day if you read my post above???thx

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

My Buylady, you have been quite busy as I have been..lol

Hi..;-)

Your plants are looking MUCH better!! As for the burnt ones, I would just leave the leaves on the plants until you get a whole new growth of leaves, then pluck them off for a new look...All green and healthy looking leaves..

If you are growing in the 5.1.1 mix an dif it was made correctly, watering every morning in this heat will do no harm at all..The mix will be moist at this time, not wet..
    Your plants will be ready for another hydrated day in the hot sun..
    Once your plants come inside, or if you see the soil staying wet longer than usual due to cloudy weather, or colder weather, then start using your dowels again..

Good job...Don't forget to watch your leaves for pests too.I LOVE all that new growth starting to appear...They love the outdoors...:-)

As Mksmith said, I would of waited a while before letting your plants hit the full sun. Do you know what happens to the body when you go to the beach for the first time after a long winter with no sun block?
    You should always gradually introduce your plants to full sun...

Mike..:-)

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ya Mike!!! i new you would be around soon!!! well...my friend i owe it to YOU and this forum...i'm addicted to this site as bad as growing my plants LOL...i also got that oil you told me bout and FE too...i'll be bathing them down in it soon as this heat passes...i can't thank YOU enough for ALL the help..OOO an yes its 5-1-1 mix.....Hugsssss:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

HUGS to you too!!!

Mike..:-) :-) :-)

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thxxx Mike, ok now w/oil FE do i mix them or do them separately in that hose attachment you told me bout? an how often do you do that to my babies LOL

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I spray mine every couple of weeks with every week being no harm at all...
    Any good Fish Emulsion will work just fine..
    Yes, use your MG end hose attachment and do a mass watering, under especially and the top of the leaves.....
    It will feel good..lol
    Just don't shower your self with it, or you will find all those around you avoiding you for a bit too..lol

Mike

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK gr8 we had a small rain last nite so hopefully it won't be so hot today...1.ok what bout the stump on the one i almost lost should i cut the top off??? since its growing new growth???.....2.also you may look i got a couple in really big pots will that hinder them???...ok i'll have to watch that don't want me to stink LOL

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Buylady...

Looking at your pots, one would assume that your plants are to little for those sizes considering your water habits, your close calls with root rot, and lack of light once they come indoors..

If you have made the gritty mix and the 5.1.1 mixes correctly, then you can grow in any size pot you want giving you use your wooden dowels before you water in cooler and darker weather or climate.

I found that the more room the roots have to spread, the more advantage your plants have to grow, bigger and faster..
    When mine were kept in small pots, they grew small.

* When they were kept in oversized pots, they died of root rot from POOR soil mixes and "overwatering".

When they are grown in oversized pots in the mixes I use now, they perform very well...They infact thrive!

Are you talking about the stump that has all that new growth coming from it? If so, Mksmth has givin you GREAT advice...;-)

Did you spray the Fish yet? lol

Mike:-)

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi Mike, no i haven't sprayed yet but my house cleaner did some thing yesterday w/my container waiting for her to answer me...its 86 here lovely day whooppiiee no 100 deg...should i do it tonite then? an i hope its the right mix you told me 5 pink bark,1 peat,1dash of lime,1 perl. right? you water every day when outside or use the dowel then too...

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Fantastic with the soil mix!!!

That is 10x better than any bagged mix you will find loaded with tiny particles, in particular peat, unless it is a "Farfard Mix" of course.

Spraying your plants will be great tonight or tomorrow morning early....Make sure you wet the entire plant always, under and on top of the leaves, and the trunk and soil along with the container all around it..:-)

Everything! Lol..Just not yourself...

I do not use my wooden dowels when my plants are outside till I start to notice my plants drying out more slowly towards the fall..When the days are much shorter and cooler, then I hold back on watering, especially my larger containers and the dowels come out of hiding..lol

Mike

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okie dokie goin fishin tonite then or a m lol...i'm not sure yet where in the world i'm goin w/bigger containers come winter but i guess i'll cross that path then lol btw i used a gallon container to make my mix..of 5-1-1..thxxxxx again Mike ....an i'll do what Mksmith said bout the i call it stump cause it looks so bare LOL except all the new growth at the bottom......ALSO how do you keep from getting a bean pole type tree?????

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I like bean pole type trees..hahahhah. I actually am training one to do this...lol

For this year until your trees gain strenth, let them grow as they please..Once you can consistantly keep the roots to your plants happy and healthy, probably by next year, winter being your true test, then we can all here encourage your to trim back your trees to good shapes...

You need to keep what ever leaves you have on your trees there, God forbid any pests eat the rest..Use the FE faithfully and they will be fine..

Mike;-)

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG Mike your a riot ok we'll do that later then, oh, i will 25.00 a qt...but oh well...ok how do i an when do i use the oil stuff i got???

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

25 dollars a QUART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the heck did they put in that bottle, GOLD???
    What kind of Fish Emulsion is it? Shark?!!!

Any Home Depot and even Walmart sells it for less than 10 bucks...

I use the brand by "Neptunes Harvest", and it is top quality stuff although most will do, and a quart only cost me 15 dollars..A gallon is 32 dollars and that is what I get from my Nursery..

Spray away and have fun...wait until you see how nice and shiny your leaves will look, if you have any green ones left...:-)Watch out for all the stray cats in your neiborhood that they don't mistake you for a meal!lolol

Mike

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yep i ordered it on the link some one put in the forum i couldn't get it at my wally w...u bet your bootie i'll look at home D not real close to here but i do go accasionally...my cats are etbity can't climb the deck YET!! LOL what a mess i did it last nite but had a different thinging on hose an put it down to go eat and it all leaked out into my tea plant so gotta find that MG one for sure boy that stuff does stink wow...them plants better love me or else LOL

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hey Mike you never did answer my post above! also can we see a pic of your green house?? thx an Good Morning every one

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi buylady!!

How are them trees doing now?

I looked for the question, and I never saw one..lol

Am I missing something? So sorry if so..

Love the fact that you have no problems lately...Wonder what that means..

Hope you are well and enjoying the party with your citrus..:-)

Mike

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh its couple posts up as to how do you use the need oil do you put it w/FE or do it separately...gonna do that tonite or early a m its 97 here now !!! yep doin fine been really busy...thx Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi you..

I don't use the FE and Neem at once..If I have a severe break out, that is if, I use just the Neem and treat all my plants at night or early am, out from the sun..

I use the FE as a preventative which so far has worked wonders for me..

I had to use the Neem on plants I forgot to spray with FE all summer, and use it on plants that got attacked by someone else's plants infested at work..

Use them separately, Neem only with an infestation you can not get rid of, and the FE as a general spray for a preventative, although I know some that use FE and to smother the sucking insects that will not handle the oils.I spray in the am, even when the sun on them with the FE, and my plants never burn..I suppose the oil on Neem is much mr potent and stronger...

Now in relation to your plants, I would spray them all with Neem only. Put a 1/2 teaspoon of soap, dish washing unless you have natural, and shake it well...Spray the underneath and tops of leaves. Spray the whole trunk, branches and pots..

If Rhizzo sees this thread, she may have a bit more to add..

DO NOT SPRAY this Neen oil during the hot part of the day, Tonight is good, and so is the am..I wish you had coco wet..I put this in everything to help improver sticking and wetting of anything I ned to stay on the leaves..

{{gwi:611738}}

After a few days, start spraying down your plants at least once a week with FE..

Let us know what you do and take pictures, ok..:-)

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Excuse my spelling errors Buyalady, horrible this time around..My auto spelling stinks!!!!!!!!!
    Looks like I will have to proof read my post's once again before I submit them! lol

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH don't worry bout spelling thats what you told me.....any way i just spray every thing soap last nite and this a m i spray w/neem...yesterday u no those two plants i show you an wondered why they where so yellow welllll i looked at them close and could acually pick off brown varment an squeeze him between my fingers what you think that is?? oh boy i'm glad to told me when an how to spray i'll do just that and hope i can save these 2 invested ones thx so much Mike your the gr8'est..BTW they are inside right now away from the deck

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Good morning... Fantastic, you can put them in the full sun later in the day or tomorrow..Hopefully you din't over do it with the Neem or soap and you followed directions..:-)

Those brown things you said you squished, do you see anymore? Where did you find them? Exactly what part of the tree? Can you take a picture? I am so happy you know how to put pictures here now..I could of sworn I saw scale on your plants from the start. I might be wrong though..:-)

You have a fantastic day!

Mike

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

and Goood Morning to YOU as well...yea i o it all to you for showing me how to do the pic thing Hugs MIke for his HELP....ok heres two pic of the varmets
    {{gwi:611740}}
    {{gwi:611742}}

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

YOU HAVE A BIG ADVANTAGE TO GET RID OF THOSE VARMITS ASAP!

You don't have many leaves where they can hide and can easily see them..They look like scale, and would not a day go by with just one alive..

Remove those with alchohol on a cotton tip to kill them instantly...Then take a cotton ball or cloth and wipe all the branches and stem, and trunk with more alchohol..Then wash your plant with a soapy water and then spray with neem in a couple of days, or right after the wasj=hing process..Keep an eye for these buggers...

Post a pic once your plant is clean, all views...ok

:-):-):-)Hug back!

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

uh oh sounds bad...i'll do asap thx Mike an i will post pics of them in a few days and hope theres a change to report..thxxxxxxxxx OH BTW i got FP coming couldn't find it here any where they looked at me like i was nuts LOL

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh Mike i forgot how do i use the FP now are wait til winter?