Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roccol_gw

Need Privacy screen on busy road

roccol
15 years ago

I know this has been asked many times. I have searched the forums first, but I do not see a solution for my problem.

I currently have 20 Arborvatie in the front of my property. I live in Northern NJ. The Arbs have been there for 6 years. They are in good shape but are not really doing well due to the area being shaded by much larger trees(oak and ash), the busy road(wind) and the winter salt spray from snow plows.

I am going to move these Arbs to the rear of my property(I have good use from them).

I now need to plant something more appropriate for the coditions.

The soil is rich, drainage is good. What can I plant?

I am looking for a 10 -12 feet screen.(70ft wide)

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• gardener365
    15 years ago

I'm not trying to bore you with Thuja's/Arborvitae but 'Techny' is a real good choice. It's wide-growing and at the same time, it's height grows similary. It's also rich army green. A different color. Foliage sprays are nice too.
    Thuja is tolerant of salt too. This plant was made for your growing situation. I'll tell ya what also would be more sharp would be a row of 'Sherwood Frost'. That would tickle everyone. These guys should be shade tolerant. Hemlock in your part of the country is a waste of time because of the Wolly Agelid.

Dax

• roccol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have not seen these at any nursery in my area. They do look very nice. Would Thuja Steeplechase be good? I say 10 - 12 fett, but 25 feet would not be an issue.

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Go with the smaller when in doubt.

Dax

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Would 9" starts be too small? of Techny. I ask because I know of a place that sells them (100) for 44$ - tax and shipping is included. It's the same price for any of these:

"Nigra"

"Pyramidalis"

"Techny"

"Smaragd"

"Woodwardi"

"Holmstrup"

"Hetz Wintergreen"

"Green Giant"

These guys do big business obviously. I bought from them last year upon recommendation from a friend that's in the growing business. I was sent over 120 cuttings. I just about had a heart attack. They're called, Rens Nursery. Click Here: Their Website

Dax

• gardener365
    15 years ago

RE: Rens

All you need to do is call them and have a credit card ready.

Dax

• jinxz5
    15 years ago

Another idea is Thuja occ. Green Giant. We use them as a screen, they grow fast and single trunked (or prune out a secondary if necessary) to keep them strong against splaying out with wet snow/ice load. The multi-trunked types will fail eventually in that regard. Green Giants will get tall in a few years, but if they have to be topped in 10 years, I'd take the quick screen now. They have them at Walmart. Hubby picked some up today to add to our existing neighbor screen where other plants need to be removed. They do get wider and it is coarser than the other arbs, but deer resistant to foraging (not raking).

Even if you go with the other varieties, try to prune the secondary trunks out by taking 1/3 of the length each year for 3 years. I always prune to keep my arbs single trunked, strong and straight so they will look great for the next decades and hold up in ice storms. Nothing is harder than trying to remove/replace a damaged tree in a hedgerow of mature trees, even if you could afford to replace a very large tree in 15 years.