Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuartlawrence

Will my Gold Cone Deodar Cedar turn Gold?

Hey guys, I have about a 3ft tall Weeping Gold Cone Deodar Cedar which I bought at a local nursery about 4 months ago. I was wondering if the tree will turn yellow/gold at some point. The tree is currently green.

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

some yellows are a spring sensation....

others are a winter show ... though i doubt deodors have any inclination to show off in winter.. since they are a warm zone plant...

others will have to tell you such.. since they are not a MI plant for me...

that said.. many yellow plants.. do NOT color properly if in too much shade ... so location can matter ...

also.. transplant shock can make recent transplants do weird things...

and w/o a pic... we will have to rely on it being properly labeled to begin with.. and that can be a dangerous presumption at times...

care to post a pic and confirm the ID... and.. where are you????

ken

PS: are there really two conifers named gold cone.. ???? that aint right!!!! .. seems to me.. mine is Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone' which should be Juniperus communis 'Suecica Aurea' .. which has nothing to do with deodors ... but its early.. i might be confused... BTW.... mine is entirely a spring show ....

• texjagman
    10 years ago

I had a decent sized one that I lost last year in the record 100+ heat wave. I literally watched it scorch day a by day at the end of summer.

But I had it for a few years. It never was really yellow like 'Aurea' turns yellow. In our hotter climate it was always more of an overall yellow / olive color. It was a little yellower at the top with the spring new flush, but that was about it.

I really liked the fullness of the 'Gold Cone' though and unlike most deodaras its branches didn't come out and then hang just at the tips, they were fairly pendulous all over.

mark

• texjagman
    10 years ago

Here's the shot of mine that will show you what I meant by the greenish gold color and pendulous branching.

{{gwi:612729}}

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Here's a photo of my Weeping Gold Cone Deodar Cedar (Cedrus Deodora)

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys,

Is my plant a Gold Cone Deodar Cedar or is it a different type of Cedar? Could it be mislabeled? It says Gold Cone Deodar Cedar on the label but it doesn't look like a Gold Cone Deodar Cedar from the pictures i've seen online and it doesn't look like my other Gold Cone Deodar Cedar which I ordered from Greer Gardens. Th color on the Gold Cone Deodar Cedar from Geer Gardens has a yellow color and looks more like the Gold Cone Deodar Cedar which I have seen.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• jth97381
    10 years ago

That is not gold cone. Obviously mislabeled. Could be one of several cedrus cultivars. It does have a nice color though.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Ohoooh, there's an Iseli tag on it.
    Are they making another mistake, again???