Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

What's a Garden without IRISES?

Annie
16 years ago

The Irises are really beginning to come on now. The colours and the fragrances are just too beautiful to describe.

My dad wanted to thin his out yesterday so I got four shopping bags full, some in bloom. I knew exactly where I wanted them to go and immediately set about getting them set as soon as I got home.

The severe storms we've had this past week and all the fierce winds really did their best to ruin the flowers, esp. the poor irises. The ones with bloom stalks got pushed over and some even bent. Others got damaged falls. I picked a big bouquet of the whites and another bouquet of mixed colors. They have bloomed for five days in the house and still look and smell divine.

They are just so beautiful!

I do so love Irises.

Oh, that they could bloom in my garden all spring & summer long!

One of my favorite paintings by Claude Monet is of his Iris Gardens - "Les Jardin"...and these are the colours I got from my father today. They were Monet's favourite flower. Tres manufique!

{{gwi:669400}}

~ sweetannie4u

Comments (48)

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

How lucky for you Sweetannie! A man who lives a few miles up the road promised me the bulbs he thinned from his Iris beds. :( I'm thinking I am going to have to give up on those, as the bulbs will probably have spent themselves from being out of the ground for so long, by the time he ever gets around to bringing them here. I've been waiting for five months! He has an extremely jealous girlfriend, so I am not about to go to his place to get them.

A friend from Illinois will be making a road trip to NM in a few days. She has extensive Iris beds. I am hoping she brings me some of her beardies.

Lorna

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Iris are also one of my favourite plants. Lucky you to be given so many for your garden. I added several different sizes of bearded to my garden last year. Since the snow has just disappeared in that area, I was out checking them out yesterday. It looks like many of them have made it through the winter and are just starting to show some green leaves. Others however, I am going to have to check on the rhizomes to see if there is a problem or if they are just slower than the others. I also have several siberian iris ordered to plant this year....and a few already potted up under lights....ready to be set out in the garden, when it is warm enough.

In my zone, if the tall bearded decide to bloom, they usually bloom in aug. So that means, I usually have iris blooming for the entire season.

I bought too tall bearded iris rhizomes this year from the local nursery and they grew well under lights, I was really pleased. Then they started showing signs of having iris borer. I ended up taking them back last week to get my money back. I didn't want to introduce iris borer to the garden. That was very disappointing.

Sierra

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I only have three kinds of iris in my garden. I love them, but most of them are this unknown variety. Originally I was given over 100 rhizomes of this bearded type:
    {{gwi:669401}}
    It's a beautiful color and reblooms twice a year, but has no scent. But it is so vigorous, and the leaf color so beautiful in my mixed cottage-style beds, I can easily forgive it. These are so vigorous, I have divided some clumps three times in the past five years. It's unbelievable how fast they multiply. Like my gardener says, something this prolific should be edible, LOL.

This next one I call my "bubblegum" iris, because it smells just like Juicyfruit gum! Only flowers once a year, alas:
    {{gwi:669403}}

The last one is also dark purple, but it's a Pacific iris, I think. Only a few got mixed in with the original gift rhizomes. I'll have to post a photo of it later, I need to upload one to my Photobucket account first.

• fammsimm
    16 years ago

Lucky you, SweetAnnie! Four shopping bags full! This is going to be an incredible sight when everything is in bloom next year.

I agree about the fragrance. It always reminds me of spring.

Marilyn

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I love iris! I have all kinds of fancy ones, yet I can hardly give them away. Mostly I love the scent, just heavenly.

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, if you ever want to give any away, remember me!

• User
    16 years ago

Lovely! Mine are not blooming yet. Gotta have irises.

What is that pink flower to the left of the bubblegum iris?

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Add me to the iris lover's list!

Don't worry about the tubers being out of the ground so long...if they are still fleshy, they should be good. They are the hardiest things out there. I have a tub full of bulbs I rescued from my beds last fall that are still in the barn and they are sending up leaves. I still have hopes of getting them planted this week.

I don't have too many with fragrance. I really love the historics and want to add more of them.

I lost lots to rot when we had such severe rains last year.
    Be interesting to see what has survived....we had heavy rains again this year.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

matriarchy, the pink blooms next to the 'bubblegum' iris are Heuchera "Roseda" - beautiful, aren't they?

• southernheart
    16 years ago

My father and I visited the Memphis Botanic Garden last week, and the iris garden was in full bloom. I had to take photos quickly that day, but here is a short slideshow of some of the iris plantings that I thought you might enjoy seeing.

The password is: sunflower

I will be adding more photos of the gardens to this album soon, but started with the irises for you. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Memphis Botanic Garden slideshow

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

IMO it isn't a garden without Iris. I have several different types, german, setosa, siberian, unguiclaris (winter flowering) and several others. When the german are in bloom, oh the fragrance, same with the winter flowering, mine blooms anywhere between November and March depending on the winter.

Annette

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

I love iris, too. Ironically, my two types are very similar to jkom's! The first were a gift from one neighbor by the old house, many of which came with me to the new house. I am hoping they will bloom for the 1st time this year. The lavender ones are a gift from my new next-door neighbors - they will probably wait until next year to bloom, since they haven't done much this year. But hers were gorgeous last year. I haven't seen any buds yet, but I've been looking...

• msscarlet
    16 years ago

I love iris. I only have 2 in my gardens. I never think to get the blubs planted in the fall. I have to remember then this year!

When I was little my mom had a lavender purple iris that had a wonderful scent. It was almost overpowering. I have no idea what they were but I would love to know what they are so I could plant some. Anyone have any really fragrant lavender iris that you know the names of?

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mores the pity!
    Irises without fragrance!!!
    The pure shame of it all!
    Unfortunately modern breeders only breed for colours and patterns, not needing scent to attract pollinators to the flowers since they do it artificially. They have bred out the fragrance of many flowers.
    Many of the very old cottage garden favourites of antiquity, including varieties of iris, no longer even exist! It makes me feel so sad to think of it :(
    There are still some varieties with fragrances, but they seem to be a disappearing slowly but surely. It will be up to us gardeners to save those that still exist.
    What is a flower without fragrance but a fancy name. To me, what is important is that they must have fragrance and be colorful and cheerful. I don't want flowers unless they have those qualities.
    {{gwi:669404}}
    ~ sweetannie4u

Here is a link that might be useful: A few pictures of some of my irises. More to come.

• cziga
    16 years ago

lorna-organic,
    I second what someone else said, don't give up on irises just because they've been out of the ground for several months. Those bulbs are quite hardy. My mother has had a bucket that have been out of the ground for 2 years, outside through 2 winters . . . she planted some this Spring and they're starting to bud out. Incredible.

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

I have about 10=15 kinds of iris in the ground and probably that many to go in as soon as we get the new garden areas in. Mine can live in pots for years!

GGG

• olgaflowers
    16 years ago

I thought about this Post, As I was dividing some of my Irises to share with other Gardeners. I want to let others know to give them at least 2 years for them to show their
    true Beauty !! This year I had some that were worth the wait.I am partial to the Whites ! but they are all Beautiful ! and a must for a true Gardener.
    Olga,
    p.s. That one MESMERIZER is Fantastic !

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

I'm another iris lover!

{{gwi:669405}}

This photo is not a great one but the flower is. I admired this old fashioned iris in a photograph here on GW. The generous gardener (lovely young lady in western NY whose screen name slips my mind) packed up a carton of them and sent them to me! That was in late July last year. They have grown so well - the foliage stayed pretty right through the winter! I didn't expect them to bloom this season but there it is! And the fragrance is divine - exactly what I remember from irises in my father's and my MIL's gardens.

Thanks again, Chelsie!!

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

I love irises. I love this time of year, I think it is my favorite...irises, peonies, poppies, first flush of roses. I love it.

Every year I swear I'm going to get a good picture of all my irises, but I never seem to do it. I do have a few up close photos this year. I have some new irises that a friend picked up for me at the iris show last year.

But I saw one yesterday I would LOVE to have, it was soft yellow with a purple edge. Gorgeous.

{{gwi:669406}}

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa's Garden

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

Lisa,
    Your garden is just beautiful. I love this time of year too. I really like your pics of poppies. What's your secret to growing them? I keep trying, but can only get a few to sprout...

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

Bella, I don't have any magic with poppies. The only way I really have any luck with them is to wintersow them and get them in the ground as soon as possible. I can't tell you how many poppy seeds I have wasted direct sowing. It's criminal :)

Lisa

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I, too, love iris... my Mom and Grandma had lovely iris beds, mostly old fashioned varieties, and mostly fragrant...

The first iris to make an appearance for me this year is a dwarf that has no tag... it's a deep purple and chocolate colored beauty... very lovely.

{{gwi:413216}}

There are lots of tall bearded and other iris that will flower soon... most were planted last fall.

Lisa - You have lovely gardens! Your photo album is a feast for the eyes!

• DYH
    16 years ago

I adore irises! There are some wonderful ones represented here in these photos! oo-la-la!

My yellow flags (iris pseudocorus) are blooming, but I think they peaked last week while we were in France. I have Dutch, Japanese and Siberian. I fully intend to add bearded this year.

Cameron

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday I got four more irises from my "mom's" garden.
    This Iris is called 'Chocolate Ecstasy '. Came from Napa Iris farm in California. They have so many beautiful irises!
    {{gwi:669407}} (stock image)

Two weeks back I ordered this Iris on eBay:
    Pink Surprise
    {{gwi:651131}}
    (stock image)

~sweetannie4u

• gldno1
    16 years ago

annie, both are gorgeous.

• memo3
    16 years ago

I have three varieties of iris in my garden. Two of them are bearded. One is a pale yellow and the other is a little deeper yellow with burgandy falls.

Last summer I found some iris growing in an empty lot in town. The town actually no longer exists so these iris have been there for many many years. If I bothered to dig around a bit I'd most likely find an old foundation from some business that existed at the turn of the century. The iris were so compacted in the spots that I found them that had not bloomed in a long long time. It was just by chance that I found them. The leaves are up and just about a foot tall. I am so hoping at least one of them blooms this first year in my garden. I'm betting they will smell DELICIOUS!

MeMo

• friend
    16 years ago

Memo- SCORE!!

:)

i dont even know what kind of irises i have. I think bearded. i have a few though.. i'm not really sure the difference with siberian and all that.. :)

I guess when they bloom- i'll take pics and send. :)
    the tallest ones are my fav... anyone ever have a problem with the irises falling over before they bloom?

i blame the dog or chipmunks!

• DYH
    16 years ago

Here are some of my Dutch iris that bloomed in April. They look like a happy chorus group to me! LOL

{{gwi:669408}}

I have three groups of yellow flags in the moist areas of the garden. They did well without water during the drought. This photo was taken at noon today.

{{gwi:669409}}

My Japanese and Siberian are budding up now. Here are last year's photos. These are located in the low areas and all along the dry streambed.

{{gwi:669410}}
    {{gwi:669411}}
    {{gwi:669412}}
    {{gwi:669413}}

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Here are a few of the iris in my garden. Pictures are from last year..as they are just starting to grow now.

{{gwi:669414}}

{{gwi:669415}}

{{gwi:669416}}

Sierra

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Sierra!
    Those are all b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l irises !
    Fancy-schmansy photo artwork!
    Thanks everyone for posting and participating.

((hugs))

Annie

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Ditto what Annie said.

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone! Just visiting and enjoying your images totally! I know Sweetannie and Lisa from the Oklahoma Gardening forum. I love Iris; my grandmother grew many beautiful iris. Here are a couple that I have growing:
    {{gwi:669417}}

{{gwi:669418}}

{{gwi:669419}}

Iris fulva (or the Copper Iris) is Lisa's.

Susan

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Sierra,

This summer when your water irises go to seed, please remember me. I have the Yellow Flag (Iris pseudacorus) that I got in the Ozarks, but would love to have some seeds of your Louisiana irises. (Can you believe I lived in Louisiana for ten years and didn't get any - I didn't even know they existed!
    I know my yellow ones make gobs of seeds in their seeds pods. I would gladly send you a SSABE & craft bags for some seeds.
    Contact me via my email.
    ~ sweetannie4u

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonbyherwits,

You have some wonderful water irises too. Dutch, Siberian or whatever, they are all gorgeous "Fleur de Lis"!

I love the way you grow them in your yard. Just Beautiful. They do look like a "Happy Chorus" - a church choir in their blue choir gowns with yellow bow ties. :)
    That is too cute!

~ Annie

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hi Annie,

I am not really sure what Louisiana iris are. The top collage is siberian iris. The first photo in the second row, the yellow iris behind the siberian is flag iris. I have 3 huge clumps.

There is a problem trading seed. My gardening season is only approx. 86 days. So that means that most seeds or seed pods don't have time to ripen......therefore I don't have seed to trade. If I leave the pods,they get mouldy and mushy.....eewww. I hope you can find some siberians there.

Sierra

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

Diana
    *note to self: need some of Lisa's blue irises. : )

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Sierra dear,

I hope I didn't freak you out. I just thought yours were so beautiful that I wanted some for myself. Lucky lady!

I have Siberian and Spuria (Dutch) Irises too, or I did. The Siberian Irises, etc., and Calla Lilies around the fish pond got choked out by other vegetation. Something ate my Callas.

Last year I planted some of these blue-violet Spuria/Dutch beauties for my HM who grew up in Holland. They did not come back this year. Well, I did see a couple of leaves come up, but that was all. You suppose those ground-hoggin'-chrysanthemums crowded them out? (I'll have to do something about that) Seems that mums just grow too well on my place. Or could it have been those pesky voles?! Curses!
    {{gwi:669420}}

I have the "Yellow Flags" too.

SIDE VIEW
    {{gwi:669422}}

TOP VIEW
    {{gwi:669424}}

I really would like to have some seeds from Susan's chocolaty "Fulva" Iris though :) That IS a Louisiana Iris.

I will have yellow flag seeds later this summer if anyone wants some. Plant ONLY in a container though, whether they are to go into your bog garden or for your fish pond.

I am looking for red, white and blue water iris for my Americana garden near the pond. I think that would be very cool.

Several years ago, I painted and antiqued an old wash tub in Americana stars and stripes. I am going to plant red, white and blue cascade petunias in it to set by the pond for our Fourth of July celebration this summer.
    But I digress...
    Looks like rain again...ugh. Maybe I ought to plant wild rice or cranberries this year!

Hasta!

~sweetannie4u

Here is a link that might be useful: Louisiana Iris

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hey Annie, no you didn't freak me out at all.lol I just have problems with collecting seed here because of the short season and wet. I haven't been able to figure out a way to do that before they get all mouldy and mushy.

Thanks for the link to the lousiana iris.....my mouth dropped open when I saw those pics. They are gorgeous!!! But only go to zone 5...I think that would be really pushing my zone. That iris fulva is gorgeous!!!!

Last year I planted Iris ensata 'Rikugi Sakura' which is rated zone 3 and -40F. I am hoping it shows up and blooms this year. I have tried the Japanese iris a few times....but no luck so far. I also planted Iris chrysographes 'Black Form' and this one has 4 green leaves showing so far.

Sierra

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I've just dug all my German Iris from the weed patch in hopes I can save some of them so into pots they go for this year while I revamp their bed. I don't have a white water Iris but do have one with some variegation in the leaves and the flower is a creamy color, very pretty. I just found seed on the edge of the pool I'm sure it is from the flowers last year or I can save seed this year so... Annie if you are interested in them email me. I can't find a pic of the flowers but will post one when it blooms.

Annette

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

Diana, did you mean me? The iris I posted in this thread? Believe it or not, it's a Walmart iris (a body bag no less). It has a wonderful fragrance too.

I have another iris that is putting on a full show right now. It's iris orientalis (thank you iris forum for the name!)

This is not the greatest picture. It's from several years ago. I need to get take a few tomorrow. They are in their full glory right now. I use them a lot in my peony bouquets. They give a nice counterpoint to the roundness of the peonies.

{{gwi:669427}}

• Annie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Lisa,

Your whites are just plum lovely. I love white flowers. WalMart, eh? I will have to look and see if they have any packages left. One thing we have plenty of here in Oklahoma, and that is WalMart stores :) We even have several new super centers near here now. You can't escape them even out here in the boondocks.
    I got my blue Dutch Irises (above) at the Family Dollar store - $2. Had 6 perfect, round bulbs in each package.

Annie

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Yes, Lisa, I meant you. : ) I've really enjoyed viewing your photos. You have a wonderful mix of blooms and so many colors - my kind of cottage garden.

I see you like penstemon, too. I have quite a few - they do so well here. I love the native ones as well as the hybrids. I was just looking through my High Country Gardens catalogue and drooling over a few I don't have. Must remedy that soon! : )

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pics!
    Diana

• memo3
    16 years ago

Hey all you iris lovers...I just dropped in to tell you all that the antique iris' that I found in our old town site have buds!! They look like they are definitely going to be a deep purple. I'll take pictures when they open.

MeMo

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

Annie: How close are you to OKC? I have plenty, plenty, plenty of my white iris orientalises and in fact, I have excess white bearded iris. I'll be happy to share later in the season.

Diana, you are so sweet! I do enjoy taking pictures and my flowers are a easy subject :) The gulf coast penstemon are really easy from seed. I'll be happy to save you some if you want. PLUS, they don't need quite the absolute well-drained spot that most penstemons do.

Here's a little bit better pic of my iris orientalis:

{{gwi:669428}}

Lisa

• amare_al_giardino
    16 years ago

I too am an iris lover although I have just recently added them to my gardens. I'm hoping for blooms next spring.
    But, I just attended our local college's Iris Day where you get to view them and fill out a wish list then go back in July in hopes of getting to purchase some of your favorites! What fun.
    I wanted to share a couple of the photos with all of you.
    Just gorgeous!
    {{gwi:669429}}

{{gwi:669430}}

{{gwi:669432}}
    {{gwi:669433}}

• pfmastin
    16 years ago

Susanlynne48, Can you tell me what is the russet color iris in your photo. It really caught my eye. Thanks!
    Pam

• friend
    16 years ago

Lisa

wow- thsoe iris orientialis are very beautiful. You were right- the first photo didnt do them justice!! How does one beg you for seeds on those most effectively? LOL

Now that copper one Susan posted.. now that is stunning too! Nice color and shape there. very unique.. must one be in the south for that one?

Memo- score again!! send pics when those "townies" bloom :)

I'm in "iris anticipation" right now totally! This year I have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many buds.. over the years i have taken irises from here and there and planted them here and there in my large yard and this year i think all but one or two little clumps are not budding yet. I have irises that have been in the same spot for 4 years now without blooming and they are finally budding up now..

Ofcourse all this rain is scaring me.. i hoep they dont open for all this rain to crush them! GRRRR

beautiful pics everyone. Loved this post.

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

Friend: I don't know that I've ever had them set seeds. I'll have to look. I'll be happy to send you some roots though later in the summer. I have more of these than I really need :)

Lisa

Sponsored